Author Topic: Surf Session.. or more of a Conditions Report (6/27)  (Read 2041 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Surf Session.. or more of a Conditions Report (6/27)
« on: June 27, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
Man, the surf looked great this morning.  Had a few bait stealers (bass) early and then the kelp started rolling through.

The surf was super small, but the wind was howling from the North at 15 knots for a good part of the morning.  Water was fairly warm, maybe high 60's and the kelp was horrible for 10 minutes then fishable for 10 minutes.  It went this way for all morning.

DFG guy that I usually see came to pay me a visit and check the usual even though he has checked me a ton of times already.  He actually hung out for about 30 minutes shooting the breeze and getting intel and sharing poaching stories.  Super cool dude and glad he's out there trying to keep poachers at bay.

Second to last cast. I catch a bass, but he catches on some kelp and flops off in a small wave.  I tried to noodle his ass, but he got away scott clean.
That leaves the big old skunk for me this morning, but any try is worth it...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Session.. or more of a Conditions Report (6/27)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »
I was on the morning run on one of the sportboats this morning. We got into a pretty good squall in the last hour. 25+ knots white caps and sporadic fat rain drops. Never seen line disappear so quickly when casting the long rod. ;D

shoresurfer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 02:27:57 PM »
We were out this morning to. The kelp was horrible, not a bite to be had at least that I could tell with all the salad hung up on my line.
Going to try again tomorrow night.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:41:31 AM »
We went out last night up at Adam's location.  Insane south current and tons of grass......3 hours of driving for 2 hours of fishing  :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 08:35:59 AM »
Damn,  me and my buddies went out nice conditions in samo, small swells some wind and raindrops, hardly any kelp...or bites for that matter. Sean did get a real nice lobster tho

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
Same down near Mission Beach. Went toi Shelter Island to try and get a few fresh mackerel and got squat. As it got further and further from high tide I decided to risk it with frozen stuff.

Tried for croaker or perch when the frozen baits were out and still nothing.

Had the long rod and the bait rod both soaking and collecting grass or kelp stringers.

Pulled in the bait rod full of kelp in 2 spots mind you. Untangled the ball and realized that the rest was still out there. Started to reel towards another kelp ball that had a gull pecking at it. and in there was an itty bitty Leo maybe 10". So technically my first one but since it was a bycatch of the kelp it really doesn't count.

If you see about an 80 lb wad of kelp and grass down on MB that is where I was.

Jim