Author Topic: HB 5/14  (Read 1535 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
HB 5/14
« on: May 18, 2022, 06:43:20 PM »
Bit of a late report but hunker down and I'll tell you about all the life I saw on Saturday!

Launched around 0900. Left the squid in the freezer for the second time in a row. Trying to focus up on getting bit with lures in areas with deep hard bottom.

4hp Yamaha made a fool of me at the ramp as usual, then after nearly pulling the boat out of the water and leaving the marina to swap out outboards at my storage unit, I gave it one more pull without changing anything and it started right up. Why are outboards so????

As soon as I left the harbor there were several spots of birds. Went and checked em out. Tons of dolphins and sea lions working the areas, yet I was hardly metering any bait. Wasn't seeing boils so I went to the original plan of heading to the bluer water of Izor's.

A dozen boats or so on the reef over at Izor's. Nobody catching anything. Pulled up on my first stone and metered plenty. C-rig gulp jerk shad and slow pitch jigs, along with rover jigs, were my weapons of choice. Despite the marks, couldn't buy a bite.

Tried a number of spots for about 90 minutes or so, 80-100' of water. Dropped the slow pitch down, hit bottom, popped it off the bottom, hooked up. Felt like a dink. Powered it up and I absolutely ended a Señorita.

Yes, of course I sent it back down. Tried with it for about 15 minutes in hopes of an absolute unit of a calico or lingcod, but didn't get bit.

Headed in shallower after getting the hint at Izor's. Wanted this to be a sort of quick trip, but figured I could run over a few coordinates I inputted and see what was up with them.

When I got back to the inside, there was once again lots of life. Found my bottom structure and found some nice marks.

Didn't wanna play. No visual confirmation, but a nice red wiggly wormy on a sonar is normally only one thing...

Finally officially broke the skunk.

Checked out a couple other spots....

Was waiting for the wind to kick me off the water and it never did. Got back to the harbor about 1500. Learned some stuff. Inside looked great for threshers, although maybe I should be finding macks and putting em on a big dropper loop if those marks stick around.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: HB 5/14
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 03:56:48 AM »
Looks like you gave it 100% Jeremy, gotta give you that.  Is the outboard the newer one or the one that you got when you got the boat?
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 08:57:17 AM »
Glad to hear the wind wasn't an issue for once 8) Hope the motor issue gets resolved, looking forward to another report :) I hope to have a report soon as well ;)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 09:05:19 AM »
Looks like you gave it 100% Jeremy, gotta give you that.  Is the outboard the newer one or the one that you got when you got the boat?

My newer Yamaha. Once it’s on it purrs. The Mercury I’ve had for a while has done similar things to me but it’s been smooth since getting out of the shop last month. I’m thinking I’m gonna sell the Yamaha and get either another 6 or an 8. 4 is safe but just a bit too sluggish, at least in the morning when i wanna blast off.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 09:44:14 AM »
That's some good looking bottom structure. Those are fish for sure, but wonder why it didn't go off ... Sometimes a swing of the tide is what is needed.
Funny how motors can act up like that and make you seem foolish. I've had mine have a little too much fun at my expense. LoL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.