Author Topic: Grassy Ass Shores (8/7)  (Read 2249 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Grassy Ass Shores (8/7)
« on: August 07, 2021, 08:17:01 PM »
Met up with Sasquatch for a small rod session at dark this morning.  We forgot our headlamps, so waited until it got a little light out or we finished our coffee. 

Steve found where I parked and we made our way down the beach.  My goal was to cast big stick baits or weedless swimmies for a WSB or Halibut.  Steve was rigged for sand crabs.
We couldn't find a single crab but millions of bean clams.  A craoker stroker saw Steve digging for crabs and gave us both a handful.  Very noble and made me think twice about saying things about the Bucketeers.

Walked along ways and the weeds never let up... if anything, got worse.

Early morning is the way to go for sure....

Squatch was catching corbina.   

I only got a pic of this one, but as he was tossing another one back, I watched an Osprey dive bomb 6 feet above him and slam in front of him trying to get the bean!  (I'll let Steve chime in on the Osprey story, but I saw every dive bomb all morning and this thing had it's technique down... find the fishermen, and catch the fish they release!)  LOL

The osprey would take the fish up to it's perch for breakfast and wait and watch for the next fish to be caught.

Unfortunately, my YFC got snagged by a gull as I released it and the osprey tried to make it spit up it's catch.  The gulls are apparently aware of the Ospreys techniques....

Long story short.  I lost a few nice fish on crabs along with YFC, but got nothing on the swimmies and jerk baits.  Squatch had the better morning, but I have no pics of his other fish, so unless he actually posts something, you are in the right to wonder if he caught any of them.. hahahahaha

Anyway, got home to chores including installing a ceiling fan.  I work on 6 to 7-digit medical equipment, but have never installed a ceiling fan.... I guess I can cross that off my list now.   ;D

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Grassy Ass Shores (8/7)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 09:18:42 PM »
 f@cking air seal scared the sh!t out of me twice. Dive bombing my fish seconds after release. Came from behind and above so fast the first time I knew it was there was when it hit the water eight feet in front of me.

Missed the corbina but got my perch and flew off.  After it’s meal it came back to get the next fish I caught. Unfortunately I caught nothing after that.

It definitely had its system dialed in.

Fun morning, but I’m trying somewhere else tomorrow.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 10:41:28 PM »
Wow that's a BEAN bean. Osprey thing sounds pretty crazy. Good getting out!

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 11:29:35 PM »
Beanie baby! That osprey is on a first name basis with a few I'm sure.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 10:17:10 AM »
Gotta love raptors! Bummer on all that salad, hope it's not as bad up here, but it always seems worse.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 09:06:32 PM »
 Fish and a Wild Kingdom bird show, nice early morning start to your day  8)

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 10:33:17 AM »
Glad to see Steve got Crabs.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)