Author Topic: Just checked in…  (Read 2250 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Just checked in…
« on: August 04, 2021, 04:31:13 PM »
…To a motel in Costa Mesa. Gonna chase the bluefin tomorrow out of Dana or Newport depending on where the latest temp break is by launch time tomorrow. I’m new to chart reading but it looks pretty good right now. If I don’t get one tomorrow I’ll just book another hotel tomorrow night and fish through Friday. And if I can’t get them Friday I’ll do the same exact thing next week!!!

They can run but they can’t hide!!!

Well they do have an incredible amount of room to hide i guess.

I suppose they could also just not bite.

And they probably won’t.

But here I am anyways! 

Might hit the beach with a pal for a sunset session tonight.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Just checked in…
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
Get em.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 05:59:00 PM »
What Sasquatch said!  Good luck Jeremy!  The fleet is packed in up there.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 08:41:57 PM »
Good luck, you are due for great outing  8)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 10:26:32 AM »
Get some!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 11:39:20 AM »
Launched at 0900, soon as I got out of the harbor the outboard was crackling so I made a U turn to get behind the break wall and see what’s up. Killed the engine and didn’t come back on, rowed the quarter mile back to the ramp. Dock folks say it’s time for the impeller which would be best case scenario, cuz I think I can fix that on my own. Really should have gotten to that sooner considering it was a “known unknown” of when it was last replaced by the previous owner.

Ah but the motel was nice. Only had to kill one roach, only heard one couple arguing, and my next door neighbor only begged her dog to pee on the grass outside my door for 20 minutes.

Trying to figure how to salvage my day while I’m down here…

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:57:26 PM by jrodda »

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 03:01:04 PM »
The gremlins are strong this week, you have engine problems far from home, my buddy's car window motor gave out, and I cut some grass with my drone. I trust you can make your remaining stay worthwhile though! Good luck!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 04:40:32 PM »
Glad I didn’t book 2 nights that’s for sure.

I ended up stopping at Charkbait in Huntington and hung out for 30 minutes just talking shop and getting my hands on the Avet EX series along with the Okuma Makairas. Those big Avets have some loud dogs! Glad they had nothing else to do at the shop than wax about glass rods and Avets.

I did have a nice evening yesterday getting dinner with my pal Jared and then throwing 3” swimmies around Balboa’s docks during a gorgeous evening. The trip wasn’t a total waste of time and energy but you know I wish I’d have just replaced the impeller sooner and reset the clock on that.

Edit, impeller is ordered along with some marine grease and will come in Saturday. Hopefully I'll be good for my next 3 days off of Wed-Fri next week.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:59:39 PM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 05:13:03 AM »
Glad I didn’t book 2 nights that’s for sure.

I ended up stopping at Charkbait in Huntington and hung out for 30 minutes just talking shop and getting my hands on the Avet EX series along with the Okuma Makairas. Those big Avets have some loud dogs! Glad they had nothing else to do at the shop than wax about glass rods and Avets.

I did have a nice evening yesterday getting dinner with my pal Jared and then throwing 3” swimmies around Balboa’s docks during a gorgeous evening. The trip wasn’t a total waste of time and energy but you know I wish I’d have just replaced the impeller sooner and reset the clock on that.

Edit, impeller is ordered along with some marine grease and will come in Saturday. Hopefully I'll be good for my next 3 days off of Wed-Fri next week.

Bummer on the motor issues Jeremy, I know that way too well.  I changed my impeller last year to make sure I didn't have any issues, but glad you noticed earlier in the departure than finding out when you get offshore.  You might want to change out the thermostat too as it's an easy switch and the cooling system will be all good to go.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 08:08:15 PM »
Just saw a report of somebody who had the same idea as me yesterday and they got dorado, YFT, and farmed a big BFT. Albeit with live bait, plus more experience I'm sure. But still, it's good to know I had the right idea this time.