Author Topic: Torrey pines skunk, De Anza bailing, Bahia bait stealer  (Read 3362 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Torrey pines skunk, De Anza bailing, Bahia bait stealer
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:14:15 PM »
Went to TP to try and make bait but had only about 20 minutes until it got dark. Went down to De Anza cove and the water was nasty cloudy and my fisherman's sense said it was a dud area. Went to Bahia for the remaining and got a bait stealer tried and convicted but since it was a small shark I let him go rather than make bait of him.

Guilty little bastid wouldn't sit still for the mug shot.

My little octopus from the market stick to the hook like glue and have more tentacle for the stealers to pic at but lots remains. Need to see how they perform in the surf where they can wave at passing fish.

No major hits just some stolen baits.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:56:14 PM by spideyjg »

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Torrey pines skunk, De Anza bailing, Bahia bait stealer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »
The baby octopus does stay on through a powercast very well, huh Jim? Iv'e tried it a number of times and have found it does best in areas of or near rocky structure and mostly attracts the likes of cabazon, grass rockfish and yes, the dreaded eels though. Lately I've been eyeballing the whole giant squid (in the 18" range) that they sell at my local Asian market and thinking about trying to soak one of those on a double hook or slider rig soon...
Joe

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »
The baby octopus does stay on through a powercast very well, huh Jim? Iv'e tried it a number of times and have found it does best in areas of or near rocky structure and mostly attracts the likes of cabazon, grass rockfish and yes, the dreaded eels though. Lately I've been eyeballing the whole giant squid (in the 18" range) that they sell at my local Asian market and thinking about trying to soak one of those on a double hook or slider rig soon...
Joe

I have circled the idea of those big squid also. Maybe make calamari with the bodies and use those big  heads by themselves. Lots of viable bait options in the markets just depends what you want to pay.

Those octopus would probably kill at rock codding.

Jim

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
Well at least you nabbed a cool little shark. What kind was it? Hard to tell in the pics
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 01:41:35 PM »
I believe it was a brown smoothound.

Jim

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 03:35:02 PM »
I catch a lot of the grey smooth hounds up here in the harbor, never caught a brown one though. Theyre pretty fun to catch on light gear.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 03:36:53 PM by TheCraftsman »
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 08:10:55 PM »
Glad you got out and tried.  When I got back from Wahoo fishing today, the bay water by South Shores looked like chocolate Milk! 

Next week starts the time change which means more soaking in the dark and less people on the water.  It has to get better!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 07:54:08 AM »
Next week starts the time change which means more soaking in the dark and less people on the water.  It has to get better!

Couldn't agree more, don't care for the short days but..............love the long nights  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »

Couldn't agree more, don't care for the short days but..............love the long nights  8)
Been waiting for this, nov 1st...