Author Topic: 3 way rig tips?  (Read 7423 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
3 way rig tips?
« on: May 31, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »
Since I lost all but 1 leader Sunday I need to do up a bunch. I have been using a fish finder setup but want to try the three way rig.

Any tips to setting them drop length etc. I can never understand why they don't tangle to beat the band.

Jim

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: 3 way rig tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »
http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=193.0

Should get you started. As far as drop length I go around 2-2.5 feet. Sometimes as short as a foot for specialty/experimental rigs. 2.5-3 feet on the sinker. Maybe only 2.

They tangle some, but mostly twist. Usually comes undone on the cast.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:40:49 PM »
With this high surf, I was afforded the time to make some rigs. Made almost a dozen while watching GOT. I never fish the surf without having at least 8 rigs. You never know.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 06:10:45 AM »
Jim, those slide sinkers are a waste of time in the surf.  Tried it and realized early enough that it was more of a problem than what positives it may have.  The three-way is the way to go, unless you start slide rigging the baits out.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:31:59 PM »
Jim, those slide sinkers are a waste of time in the surf.  Tried it and realized early enough that it was more of a problem than what positives it may have.  The three-way is the way to go, unless you start slide rigging the baits out.   8)

Tom, why do you not like the fish finder (sliding) rig in the surf? Sorry for jacking your post Jim.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 08:56:37 PM »

Tom, why do you not like the fish finder (sliding) rig in the surf? Sorry for jacking your post Jim.

Don't know Tom's thoughts but the fish finder the only thing holding the bait steady is the reel. Add a wee bit of grass and it gets dragged. Also casting I sometimes see the weight and bait get real far apart.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 09:03:13 PM »
I'll type it up tomorrow as it will be too much to type on my phone.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 09:18:32 AM »
So, initially when I started surf fishing out here I would use a slider rig for leopards.  You didn't need to cast too far for them so it was ok, but I always realized that the cast never went to far since there was slippage of the sinker down the line from the bait on many occasions.  I also used to notice how the leader and line would twist around each other with the surf movement and cause a pinch point which would regularly break the line under a good load...

I'll just break down the advantages of the three-way as I'm at work and don't have a lot of time.

-Longer Casts
-Use of an appropriate length of shock leader
-No line twist at leader/slide
-Less gut hooked fish
-Cast bigger baits

I will try to get back to break it down later since my boss just dropped a stack of paperwork in front of me right now, but I will just say there are definite advantages to a three-way over a slide rig.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 10:33:12 AM »
Having fished side by side with guys using 3 ways they seem to catch more fish, have less current/tide hassles, and have less salad issues.

I'm joining the club. I do prefer a sliding presentation for line shy fish though.

Jim

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »
Jim you can look into using a pulley rig, it can give you some of the same benefits of the 3 way as well as still giving you some amount of free play like a normal sliding rig. There is also the running rig similar to what Eric uses. This can be either clipped down or not. As an FYI, those 3 7's I got on Sun night were caught on a heavy pulley rig using 13/0 circles 270 49 stand cable and 125lb mono for the pulley section. I could probably put something together for the board on my tweaks to a heavy pulley rig that I have found effective. Btw I have used Eric's rig as well very successfully.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 12:41:05 PM »
Jim you can look into using a pulley rig, it can give you some of the same benefits of the 3 way as well as still giving you some amount of free play like a normal sliding rig. There is also the running rig similar to what Eric uses. This can be either clipped down or not. As an FYI, those 3 7's I got on Sun night were caught on a heavy pulley rig using 13/0 circles 270 49 stand cable and 125lb mono for the pulley section. I could probably put something together for the board on my tweaks to a heavy pulley rig that I have found effective. Btw I have used Eric's rig as well very successfully.

I use a pulley rig 80% of the time as well. They seem to work especially well with circle hooks.
 I didn't know you were a pulley rig guy too Ron.
 What are you using for the actual pulley that you tie your main line into and the pulley line slides through? So far the best thing I've found that's working is just a large barrel swivel, but think that could be improved upon. The most needed  improvement I've found and do is to put a SOFT silicon bead in line between the hard bead and the knot that ties the sinker onto the pulley line. It acts as a cushion so the hard bead doesn't jam into the knot and knick or slice it, causing it to be a failure point when there's heavy pressure being put on it by the bead.  When your hooked up all the pressure is put there and on where the pulley line comes in contact with the pulley, that's why I'm trying to find something with more surface area there,  to evenly distribute the pressure onto, then just the loop on a swivel. I suppose using a heavier line for the pulley line, like the 125# you do, solves both those problems in a different way. Those clip downs you turned me onto that allow for off the ground casting are a major improvement as well.
I especially like pulley rigs because if made with a long pulley line length, it will act as a heavy rub leader when your hooked up.
JOE     

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »

I've never seen one put together but have heard of them. Got pics?

Jim

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »
Here is your standard sliding 3 way rig.

The one pictured below is a clip down.

When your running a heavy shock leader (80 to 100lb) the rig doesn't swivel and its just about impossible from tangling prior to the cast.

The clip keeps things in place and seperates on impact when hitting the water. Shown is a modified S clip. I opened it up with 2 sets of pliers making it easier to separate upon impact. I like these better than Breakaway's IMP clips.

Clipping your rigs down will also give you more distance.

Really like Ron's pulley, I do wanna play around with one.....

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 12:46:11 PM »
Eric, is that bead and swivel sliding directly on the shock leader or is there another bead or swivel up higher we can't see? I'll try that S clip down because the Imps give me issues as well when I use them on my heavier rigs alot of times.
JOE

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
Eric, is that bead and swivel sliding directly on the shock leader or is there another bead or swivel up higher we can't see? I'll try that S clip down because the Imps give me issues as well when I use them on my heavier rigs alot of times.
JOE

Yes it is sliding directly on the shock leader.. There is nothing above what's pictured.