Author Topic: BREAKING POINT?  (Read 7062 times)

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
BREAKING POINT?
« on: October 03, 2015, 09:05:12 PM »
I'd like to ask you guys...When your sputnik lead does get hung up on some bottom rocks in a position where, in spite of its collapsible legs, you end up having to break it off, where is the desired breaking point and how do you achieve ensuring that it does break off at that point? I'm asking advise because I found out last week where I think I'd rather avoid the failure point to be because I ended donating 15 yards of braid, hook, swivel, steel leader AND sputnik. Is there a way to get it to break where you only lose the sinker and not the whole top shot/shock leader? If a few of you would let me know how your personal sequence goes from reel arbor to sinker that would be super helpful...ie:This is mine (from arbor to sinker) Main running line, 250yds 40# mono to 30 feet of 65# braid as top shot/shock leader via double uni to 3-way swivel via uni to 80# Fluorocarbon via uni to 120# snap swivel via uni with 6oz sputnik clipped to it. Obviously the failure point is at the double uni connecting the 65# braid to 40# mono because the 40# is the weakest link in the chain. Do I just live with this or is there a better way to do it without snapping off during initial cast?
Joe

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: BREAKING POINT?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:13:51 PM »
100lb solid braid main spliced to 20-25 feet hollow 80lb braid. Loop to loop connection to 80lb hollow braid with 30 feet 80lb mono inserted 5-6 feet into braid. Secured with nail knots with a drop of flexible superglue. Three way swivel tied with three turn uni knot. 24" 135lb steel leader off one leg, 24" 80lb leader to sinker off other leg. Sinker direct tied with three turn uni, steel double crimped with offshore loop knot.

Sinker usually breaks off, but sometimes the leade will break. Mainline rarely does. I have bent out 10/0 hooks when the point gets caught. I carry back up leaders, well, I have to find them or make more, since I can't put my hands on them right now.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:45:27 AM »
I actually use 80 pound line going to my sinker off the 3-way.  I at first was using 40 pound as to have those sinkers break off and save the rig, but found I actually get more back with the heavier line (80#)

I usually head up current after I'm stuck and reel in until the rod is loaded up and the line is extremely taut to almost breaking.  I just hold on for a few minutes and a lot of times, the wave motion and or grass on the line sometime pulls it free.  It by no means guarantees to get the sinker back, but I bet I got half the sinkers back that I might have usually lost.  Otherwise, it's just par for this type of fishing unfortunately.  I usually go up current from the structure in a sandy spot so the scent heads towards the area I think the fish are cruising.  That way it brings the sharks to my bait and I minimize the snags.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »

I usually head up current after I'm stuck and reel in until the rod is loaded up and the line is extremely taut to almost breaking.  I just hold on for a few minutes and a lot of times, the wave motion and or grass on the line sometime pulls it free.  It by no means guarantees to get the sinker back, but I bet I got half the sinkers back that I might have usually lost.  Otherwise, it's just par for this type of fishing unfortunately.

This^^

I always assume I'll lose a rig/sinker or 2. Pack extras.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »
Can't make any guarantees because ive yet to get snagged on anything. But i use the sliding fish finder clips... I think that the soft plastic will most likely give and the sinker break off before the line.  I let you know when i figure out if my hypothesis works out.
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:14:14 PM »
Lost a lot of sputniks on those slides for Carolina rigging, too easily.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
I use 80# because I want my sinker back. If I lose it, so be it, but it won't be easy.

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »
Lost a lot of sputniks on those slides for Carolina rigging, too easily.

Under what circumstances Ramon?  Ive yet to lose a single one with exception of losing one due to a big fish that broke me off....
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
Either the sinker gets burried in sand when I've soaked for a long time, kelp monsters, or just snagged.
 I rig really heavy so usually I get my gear back, but with those snaps I've lost alot.
Now I just use regular heavy duty cross locks on 3 way swivel rigs, I seldom lose anything

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »
I use 80# because I want my sinker back. If I lose it, so be it, but it won't be easy.
I'm not using a set up where 80# is my weakest link between sinker and reel spool like you yet, but for my future reference if I do...How the heck do you break that off the few times, when you do? I know a few wraps around the hand is a bad idea as I learned with 65# braid and you probably can tell me a couple other bad ideas as well but, what would you recommend as the best way to put 80+# of breaking pressure on your line, if need be, to snap off, without snapping, slicing, bending, damaging or cutting yourself and/or your gear?
Joe     

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 09:25:21 PM »
A piece of broomstick works well to wrap the line around.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 05:52:00 AM »
Reel up tight. Wrap mainline around frame of reel 4-5 times. Point rod straight out at snag. Back up until it breaks. I would use a stick but I never think to bring one. Probably a better idea.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 06:40:07 AM »
Play with it for a bit before you go to snap it off.

Tom mentioned a good way to get them back.

You can also walk parallel down the beach at the waters edge (try both directions) , tighten up the line and pull on it. A lot of times getting that right angle on it will set it free. I've got a lot of rigs back this way. Also,  if there's some high ground of sand behind you, walk on top of it then start pulling on it.

But if all else fails keep a few pre made rigs in your bag so your back in the water in no time.

Edit:

If you do get get your rig back, always check for abrasion or kinks in your line. It happens sometimes when getting stuck.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 06:46:37 AM by Eric H »

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 07:32:19 AM »
The rod butt can suffice as a stick in a pinch