Author Topic: Legal Halibut On The LC AM Report 5/25/16  (Read 1627 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Legal Halibut On The LC AM Report 5/25/16
« on: May 25, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »
So here's how the day started. Half woke up to the sound of rain, and fell back asleep. Went out to the car and I wasn't dreaming. No wind was a good thing though. Headed to the beach and when I got there I was completely blown away. I couldn't hear the waves, no wind. I kept saying to myself, Wow! This is what we all wait for. These times are rare and special. Water is pretty warm. I just couldn't believe there was barely any waves. It was like a pond at times.

Started chucking the LC and the water was crystal clear, the moon was out shining brightly. I just wanted to savior the moment, I didn't want it to end to be honest.  First 30 minutes of casting in all directions I didn't get a bite. I went back in to retie and had a few sips of coffee. But kept my confidence high. Getting close to first light I go back to casting and on my second cast. I feel a nice thump on the line. Set the hook and I knew I had a decent fighter on the line. It was far out though and knew I had a long way back in.

Kept the line tight, she starts swimming in as I'm walking backwards. Then she realizes the waters getting shallower and makes a run for it. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz goes the line. I always check the drag before fishing, learned that lesson many times too. Lines still tight, getting closer, slipping and sliding a little. another zzzzzzzzzzzz goes the line. Finally get close to beaching her and see one treble in her mouth, she starts flapping crazy and I'm still good. Adrenaline pumping A little further more to go and she can't escape. Finally as I beached her and gave just a tiny bit of slack the treble pops out like nothing. WOW! That feeling is intense.

I forgot to mention all the stingrays I saw, and really didn't care to see. The water was just so clear. One Frisbee sized Round Ray swam by and grazed my right calf with his wing. I looked down and saw it keep it going. Phew!!!

Was happy though to get my First legal Halibut for 2016. Here are some pictures.

Taped shots

Close up

Still saw a lot of baitfish out there. Thanks for reading and good luck out there! Until next tide.

Joel

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Halibut On The LC AM Report 5/25/16
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »
That LC is a great mimic of the grunion that we saw the other night. Should be prime Hali bite right now. Congrats on the first of 2016 ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 07:30:04 AM »
Congrats on the first of '16, one of many to follow I'm sure  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:38:41 AM »
Congrats on the legal, Joel!  Well deserved.

I bumped into a guy last night that on his surf fishing first trip ever in cali gets a 24" butt and a calico.  Funny how that goes sometime.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
Killing it Joel ;D 8)......
GET OUT AND GET BIT..