Author Topic: San Clemente pier  (Read 2594 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
San Clemente pier
« on: April 23, 2017, 01:10:10 AM »
Macks seem to average a little bigger at this pier although not as many as oside. I, as well as half a dozen others,  were sliding them off the end and I tried a chunk of ray as well. 4 bats and a leopard for the group. I didn't even get a run but I took a 40"(ish) bat ray home and carved it into 3-4lb chunks for bait. The surf from the pier to Dana is super flat and it would be a good place to paddle out a bait but everyone said they haven't seen any 7's from there in a couple years but the soupfin bite has been on fire. One of the guys hooked something sharky that was def. not a leopard. Big soupfin probably but the hook pulled.
Keep it tight

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Re: San Clemente pier
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »
I wanna soupfin!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »
Macks seem to average a little bigger at this pier although not as many as oside. I, as well as half a dozen others,  were sliding them off the end and I tried a chunk of ray as well. 4 bats and a leopard for the group. I didn't even get a run but I took a 40"(ish) bat ray home and carved it into 3-4lb chunks for bait. The surf from the pier to Dana is super flat and it would be a good place to paddle out a bait but everyone said they haven't seen any 7's from there in a couple years but the soupfin bite has been on fire. One of the guys hooked something sharky that was def. not a leopard. Big soupfin probably but the hook pulled.

Have gotten any thing on ray bait?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 07:17:10 PM »

Have gotten any thing on ray bait?

I've caught lots of sharks on rays outside of California. I got a good run on a hand size chunk of round ray back in February but the hook turned and penetrated the bait instead of the fish. Wire coating was shredded about 12-14" above the hook.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »
Nice Chris.  When I fished with Jeff, I tried some of the bat ray but nothing took it.  I was getting my bites on bonito.  I can't knock bat ray as bait since Jeff got his GW on it!

That bat ray bait is dense and heavy for sure!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 03:55:39 AM »
Went again tonight. Seems the bad conditions are over. It was terrible when we arrived. Left at 2am and the water was glass with no wind. Hopefully it holds out.

Made bait. Slid some macks off the sides of the end for nada. Left and right corners were on fire. I think the count was 4 bats and 2 leopards for the group sliding baits.
Keep it tight

Gage949

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 09:02:35 PM »
I'm not to far from there, may have to check it out in my quest for a soup and 7. What's the go to rig for soupfin?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
Conditions down here are bad.  I hope things clean up soon.

Thanks for the intel Chris.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 09:49:51 PM »
Oceanside was beautiful today. Wasn't able to fish but it's calmed down a lot. Got to see it at full high tide. Some guys were pulling spotfin and YFC too.
Keep it tight

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »
I'm not to far from there, may have to check it out in my quest for a soup and 7. What's the go to rig for soupfin?

Sliding live or fresh macks. Just outside the break or get to the end early so you're can cast towards the reef. They've been caught on cast rigs but sliding or floating baits seems to work a lot better since the kelp and reef are atleast 100yrds off the end.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:42:55 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight