Author Topic: Old P-Souls (6/21)  (Read 2518 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Old P-Souls (6/21)
« on: June 22, 2023, 06:46:51 AM »
Squatch and I decided to try and get one last surf session in before the summer. We haven't gotten out lately, so I was a bit bummed to see nuts to butts people everywhere.  We waited it out and finally got our lines in.  On my first practice cast as I was reeling in, my line sheared off and I had a clean cut tapered end.  WTF?  I retied on a new shock leader and as I was tying on the hook, felt resistance from somewhere, so followed the line and checked to see a perfectly angle cut on my ceramic guide on the tip top!  WTF?  Not exactly sure what happened, but now I'm in a dilema.  Only one rod with a useless tip.  Squatch offered a suggestion of just using the second guide and forget the tip.  Sounded reasonable, but I though of some other possibilities that might sting me in the ass, so I just broke out the ceramic guide all together and realized I would have to straight rod a fish in rather put a big bend in the rod and risk cutting and chaffing the entire main line when reeling in.

Well, it only took my first bait and I had the bounce and loose line!  I fought it as intended and got my first +1 in a while.  LOL

Not long after and a text comes through from an Old P-Soul... Rasta with this picture....

He was fishing with Mike, so the Thursday Night Grinner Crew decided to fish Wednesday just like the Tuesday Crew.  I thought I saw them in the distance until Steve says "I think that's him right there..."  Only 100 feet away is someone with 2 rods and thought that was Josh, so walked over to say hello.  Instead, I hear a "I'm not Mike or Josh, but it's me Ray Chavez".  Holy Hell!  Ray was one of the OG's and hasn't posted in quite a while, but totally surprised to see him down there too!  Literally an old school grinner gathering!

Well, unfortunately that was it.  I heard that Josh caught a dozen thornbacks, so he started at minus 12 to start the night.  ;D (Only kidding)

Hopefully the T.N.G.C or Ray did better than we did.  We were on the road by 10:45pm and the 4:00 am wake up alarm was quickly approaching.

Thanks for reading and great to see so many OG's on the sand looking for the last of the Springtime Soups!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Old P-Souls (6/21)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 09:59:00 AM »
Funny it was so crowded after dark.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 04:18:51 AM »
Dang, haven't heard Ray's name in years.  Spent many hours on the sand with him, glad hear he's still kicking and fishing
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 11:20:39 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 08:40:45 AM »
It was uneventful. Got plenty of perch bait though. Stopped by to say "what's up" to Ray.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)