Author Topic: Silver Mining with Squatch (6/19)  (Read 1491 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Silver Mining with Squatch (6/19)
« on: June 20, 2023, 06:39:49 AM »
Holiday Mondays are the best.  I was hoping to be offshore looking for tuna, but my buddy didn't have the day off and the pickins were slow out there so decided not to take a sick day.
We decided to just do a bay trip and look for our first legal halibut of the year.

On the ride to the bay, I was wishy washy on what the Plan was going to be.  Seems easy (fish for halibut) but I've been going to the same spots and fishing the same way for very limited results the past 6 months.  I generally avoid Shelter Island, but just as we were going to head down to Pepper Park, I veered to go to SI instead.  Needed to change something up!

Lot's more little boats launching than I thought there would be, but not bad at all.  We got a 1/2 scoop of some beat up GIANT sardines.  Bait was in poor shape and they were all at least 9" long!  Good for big halibut I guess if they could survive.

Went to the inlet to see terns diving and frothing Calico color fish slamming bait.  We drifted along the jetty, Channel, and everywhere in between for a dozen raked baits and some downright cut in half!  ...but no fish.

I finally picked up a spotty to get the skunk off the boat...

Now I was just trying to formulate a new plan, but as the morning went on we were feeling less confident.  We decided to change our target species and look for corvina.

We hunted all of the usual haunts and saw plenty of people trying to do the same.  I got a few more bass and Steve was pretty much over it by now, especially when I get the first butt of the day.

Not a legal, but not a flap jack either...

Steve finally hooks up and is fighting a bass on the swimbait, but still seems pretty over it since the fishing has been so slow.  I then hook up with a real screamer and have to walk around the boat and across him as this fish was seriously trying it's best to get away!  I finally get it to the net and it was a legit shortfin!  Not like some of the little pickles I've been catching.

Then I'm on again and this is a better model!  No fish on the surface, but the fish finder is lit up with them!  I ask Steve to take a picture and he said "With my current attitude, I don't want to" (or along those lines).  He was really over this now...

After a quick release and I'm on again!  It's like someone turned on the switch and all the fish started feeding at once!  This one threw the hook though.  Then Squatch gets hit by lightning and this is where his frown turned upside down!

We boated 9 and lost 8 over the next 45 minutes.

The small one of the morning was still a nice model!

Steve's slug of the morning...

My slug of the morning...

We had a few doubles on also which is something we haven't seen corvina fishing since the early days when the EDC were showing how it was done.

Then just like that, the flurry was over and the tide runners were done.  I still metered them, but they went back into lock jaw mode.

It's funny how it started as the worst bay trip we've had in a long time to one of the best in just a second!  One thing Squatch and I always agreed on, is it's better to have it happen at the end of a trip because that high you get will last the rest of the day!

Pulled the boat out and back at the barn scrubbing the boat.  It was a fine day Mr. Sasquatch, I'm so stoked it turned out like it did or I'd probably not hit the bay again until this next upcoming winter.  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Mining with Squatch (6/19)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 09:09:32 AM »
One of these days Squatch is gonna throw your lucky ass right in the water!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 10:55:15 AM »
Never gonna happen.

Turned into a fun trip. I was beyond over it until the end.

Also, to clarify, “veered” means change in and out of the exit lane multiple times until it was too late to get back out.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 01:20:14 PM »
Never gonna happen.

Also, to clarify, “veered” means change in and out of the exit lane multiple times until it was too late to get back out.

Lol!

I agree that I would rather fishing be good at the end than the beginning I was talking to Jared about the sickness I feel like I get when my numbers are high from early in the trip and I just wanna finish the trip out with an even number, even though the fishing slowed down. Last trip with him we had 19 and 24 fish counts and we desperately scratched away for the next hour to round out the last two for 20 and 25.

Sick corvina bite. I’ve been very central to huntington this year but hope to get down to the bay a couple times this summer.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 04:00:17 PM »
Never gonna happen.

Turned into a fun trip. I was beyond over it until the end.

Sometimes the best decisions are forced upon us by the circumstances.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 06:10:56 PM »
Daytime vampires  8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 02:53:35 PM »
LOL!!! Hilarious how you're hiding the background.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 02:36:51 AM »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 08:29:46 AM »
That looks like it was a fun bite. Committing to an off ramp can be a struggle sometimes ;D Glad you guys found them !!