Author Topic: Targetting Sturgeon (6/6)  (Read 4310 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Targetting Sturgeon (6/6)
« on: June 07, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »
Steve and I decided we were going to live and die by the sword and try to target and catch a sturgeon (or a cat) lol.  We really didn't prepare properly for trout since we wanted to give it a good effort for the prehistoric beasts.

We got to the lake in blustery 40 degree conditions!  I was like WTF when I saw the temp gauge in the truck!  I didn't pack for winter!

We made a few circles around the lake periodically getting out and hiking to do some recon. Took some cool pics and kept looking for something to give that fishy area feeling.

Great views of the lake when we drove around.

On one of our scouting missions, I look over and see this HUGE TAIL and part of the body roll right in front of me!  100% STURGEON!  WOW, that was just so cool to see as I have not seen a sturgeon in the wild before and especially not from SD county!  You can guess where we camped and casted out!

Lot's of bluegill bites at first, but waiting for the monster to roll through.  Had some equipment issues and having lizards visit us was the norm in the morning.

About an hour before I packed up I saw Steve walking the shoreline looking to see if he could spot any sturgeon.  As he was walking away, I heard the faint pull of clicker and saw my rod doubled over!  I hooked whatever it was and had a few headshakes as I turned and yelled to Steve to get back here!  Just then it ran across a rock or something and clipped my line.  Ughhh....  It could have been a big cat or a sturgeon.  I'll never know but that one hurt a bit.

As I wallowed in misery, Steve says... It looks like you caught d!ck... as I looked to where he was pointing, there was a tiny plastic penis on a rock.  I guess I really did get d!ck!  lol

Well, it was time to go home and we wore the stripe, but stuck to our guns and did a solid session looking for sturgeon.  Next time we will be better prepared as I will do a little more research.
I have a redemption trip for the one that got away here soon!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Targetting Sturgeon (6/6)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »
It was a long shot but I'm glad we took it. The scenery was a nice change of pace. I too will be looking into what it takes to make it happen. Feeling like it is just a matter of time.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »
Now that's catching a fossil,  bin on my list awhile...congrats on the long haul and getting out regardless... what was the details of the rigs, Carolina rigged, with rub lines and surf gear or?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »
4# test, 1/4 oz egg sinker, #14 treble, earthworm.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »
We rigged mid size. 30Lb braid and 20Lb mono leader in big C-rig. Not sure what rig Steve was using.
Whole filet macks, squid, night crawlers etc. I was using a size 1/0 octopus, but I went on a hunch and did no prior research.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 02:08:41 PM »
Sounds about right, I have some buddies who have caught a couple. and from what I read as far as socal is concerned,  majority come during trout season on power bait, go figure

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
Thought you meant what rig I was going to use next time. If they are caught on trout bait, I'm going to use trout bait. If they are caught on trout gear I'm going to use trout gear.

raychavez91

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 02:58:26 PM »
Just an observation, may be worth throwing the old power bait torpedo c rigged

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 03:06:39 PM »
Maybe. I have more confidence in worms.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »
Was diggin the Facebook updates yesterday ;) sucks losin of big fish especially in freshwater, especially when you know there's some giants in there... seems like you guys had fun, "D!ckin" around B)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 10:48:48 PM »
Bummer on the miss. An SD sturge would be kewel !! 8)

Nice dic pic