Author Topic: Halibuts Morning AM Report 5/23/16  (Read 1469 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Halibuts Morning AM Report 5/23/16
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:31:06 AM »
Headed out this morning to keep the streak going and hoping to finally stick that elusive legal Halibut. This mornings conditions looked really nice. No wind, and low surf. Soon as I start casting though, I was getting tons of seaweed on the Lucky Craft Sexy Smelt every cast. I saw a lobster in the water and saw a nice 20 inch Barracuda slowly cruising the top water after some baitfish. First spot was not good so decided to move. I'm glad I did!

Next spot has some seaweed but the zone further out was fishable. About 20 minutes in I feel a nice strike on the LC. Fish on! Was happy to get my target species.

First Halibut.

Seaweed and all.

Nice little shortie to get the morning started as time was against me due to work.

Love these close up shots!

After a few pics and quick release, I retie my line and head back out. Very next cast in the same area I feel a tap tap, I pause 2 seconds and set the hook! Wham!! Fish on and this one started peeling some drag. I was super excited and it was a fun battle and glad I had her hooked. It doesn't get much closer than this. I'll take it though and I'm getting closer. What do you guys think? Legal or not. I released her anyways. Went back out to casting and Sammy the seal showed up and was barking at me. Decided to call it a morning. As I'm heading off the beach I see another seal swimming around in my first spot. Oh well, I was happy. Here's the last Halibut of the morning. I did have two other hits that I lost but was happy with the end results for a morning sesh.

Halibut

Sooo close =)

Love these close up shots and the teeth.

Im due, I'm so due and will keep trying till I do! Thanks for reading and good luck out there. Conditions are pretty darn good right now.

Joel 8)