Author Topic: Pi Day at Carlsbad  (Read 3249 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Pi Day at Carlsbad
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
Decided it was time for some strange, so we headed down to Carlsbad on Pi Day. Got to the sand late, around 8:30, because we had issues with our Mac connection. Oh well, threw double squid and hoped for the best. Nothing really until about 10:30 when Tsunami puts a 35" ray on the sand, followed by Kyle losing his cherry to a cute little baby thornback. Couple of bites after that, but nothing with a serious conviction. Really wish we had those macs, rumored that a guy down the way from us landed a 7 gill. Out of beer and bait we called it just before Midnight and headed to Mickey D's.

Nothing pic worthy :(
Anybody have an emergency beer?

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
Re: Pi Day at Carlsbad
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
It's a learning experience worse for worse, and makes you appreciate the mack lol

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:57:16 AM »
Wondered if that was you guys. Probably should have gone over to find out for sure.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
We posted up next to the rocks. There were 3 glow sticks to the left of us. I was going to walk over but I didn't want to bug anybody and the Coronas were tasting good and going down pretty fast :-[

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »
That was us. We didn't want to be embarrassed if it wasn't you. I was drinking Newcastles, they were pretty good too.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
That was us. We didn't want to be embarrassed if it wasn't you. I was drinking Newcastles, they were pretty good too.

Yep, Mickey D's or Newcastle....  That's a tough one.   :o ;D

Well damn, I know Don uses squid for the 7's up in LA, but honestly, nothing beats meat for the sharks... and it makes it much easier to cast.

Well, bummer you all didn't find each other but sound like you were pretty close anyway.  That thornback is a -1 by the way.  Long story, but I'll put up a post about it one day!  lol

Glad you got down Chip.  Right place and right timing... just wrong beer and baits.  These meds I'm on are making me feel pretty good!  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 03:09:55 PM »
Yep squids a big no no in my book for sharks.
Keep hittin those 7 grounds, you'll get one.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 06:07:31 PM »
That being said about squid, sometimes a squid mac combo does well, they do it in Australia and NZ quite a bit. The squid bring in all the small critters that tear at it, and I believe that activity brings in the larger predators. As the smaller fish scatter from the squid when the shark approaches, there is a nice hunk of mac for it. Just my theory I have put it into practice on skunk nights, but those nights were skunks, no matter what I threw.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 07:27:50 PM »
Hmm I may have to make a burrito out of some squid and mack to soak...

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »
That's a great spot. Quite a few people, but still not too crowded. And unlike most of our beaches, it was great not having to pay $15 for parking and not having to keep your head on a swivel looking for lifeguard patrols every 5 freaking minutes ;D

Don't know what the story is on the -1 for the thornback. How do you score that for a surf virgin? Seems a little harsh, but I guess a rule is a rule :)

Poor kid got a little drunk and decided to buy himself some long rodding gear. Now he's suffering the sweet pain of waiting for it to arrive, which is only going to be made worse because now he knows they're out there and he's going to have to wait until next Saturday to go after them. Assuming the surf cooperates ;D

At least we know now. It's really only an extra 25 minutes to get down there and I've got 16 macs chillin in my freezer. I'd love to come up with some BS excuse to work out of our Carlsbad store so I could pop in mid-week, but my 15' won't fit in my 'Stang and the boss would know exactly what I was doing :'(

Oh well, we will hook up. Can't wait to have a couple of cold ones with you guys and watch somebody tail grab a huge 7 8)

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 11:36:01 PM »
Chip tail grabbing a seven is no picnic!!!!!! Kind of like sticking your arm in a bear trap and hoping you can yank it out before it snaps shut! LOL :o
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner