Author Topic: Butt Stuff (6/26)  (Read 1479 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Butt Stuff (6/26)
« on: June 27, 2023, 06:18:53 AM »
I took this Monday off a few weeks ago expecting to be going on a Sunday Bluefin hunt with spillover into Monday.  Winds really f@cked things up, so I was going to give the day back and use it later, but in reality, I was like "Give it back?".  I decided to look for a legal butt instead in MB this time.  Just my own mind to do nothing but look for halibut.

I bought bait, but I wish we were allowed to use cast nets.  Sardines were EVERYWHERE!  Front, Middle, and Back Bay!

The FF screen was a joy to watch also!

I fished Quivera, the Brides, the Bowling Pin, and the Channel.  I saw a few small butts caught on another boat, but at first all I could get was short bit or watch the halibut chase the bait to the surface as I reeled in.

This is generally what I saw on every bait.

I then started picking away and ended up catching 11 halibut, albeit fairly small.  They were all 14"-17" and I did everything to prevent all the Googans out there seeing me, but too late...  Two guys literally ran over my lives to come and ask me where the fish were.  Not even joking.  They said "Where's all the fish?  I've been fishing for 2 hours and haven't caught anything!" in which I replied, "Really?".  Ugh.. They set up right next to me as the wind started really cranking.

I moved away from them and decided I was done for the day when I get slammed and see a 22-24 inch Corvina on the end of the line!  What a surprise!  Shook off 10 feet from the boat, but left makings on the bait that at least I know what the damage looks like!

I couldn't believe how many halibut were following up my baits to the surface, but wouldn't take it or just grab and kill my sardine before spitting it.  I also got slammed and thought I saw a legal barracuda on the end of my flylined rod!  Nope!  It was one of the biggest needlefish I've seen in the bay, or at least one of the biggest in recent memory!  I had him on 5 times before finally it gave up and swam away.

I was down to a few baits left and caught nothing but halibut so far, but the legal eluded me.  I was ready to go when I reeled up and a much bigger halibut followed it up!  I dropped back down immediately and BOOM!  Fish on!

Not really that big 23.5", but at least a legal!

I avoided telling you of all the bad luck I had on the boat with some things breaking, so decided to pay homage to the fish gods and let her go.  I'm not sure I ever let a legal halibut go before, but it was a gesture of good will to the fish gods, and hopefully they remember.

I then get home happy and satisfied when I drop a plug and it goes right into the baitwell drain!  This was really bad and the hose or snake would not remove it, so I was unsure what to do.  This was not how I envisioned ending the day, but after a few hours, devised a contraption that somehow worked.  Whew, disaster avoided...  Back to my good mood again for a dozen halibut day Not even a bass, but I was only trying for halibut, so mission accomplished!

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Butt Stuff (6/26)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 06:17:14 PM »
Great trip, even with oooonly one legal. Maybe my local halibut have also woken up.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 07:21:10 PM »
Cool rake pics! Did Everingham dump a pen haha.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 03:57:09 AM »
Glad you found one Tom, and kudos for the release.  Gotta ask, how do you rig for halibut?
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 05:55:44 AM »
Great trip, even with oooonly one legal. Maybe my local halibut have also woken up.

I felt like I should have had my limit with all of the big ones that chased my bait to the surface, but never committed.  lol

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 05:57:12 AM »
Cool rake pics! Did Everingham dump a pen haha.

Seriously, Everingham could have been purse seining the bay for bait to save gas! lol

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 05:59:04 AM »
Glad you found one Tom, and kudos for the release.  Gotta ask, how do you rig for halibut?
Just a straight up nose hook.  I've never had much luck on the stinger rig and when I did, it always was just a bad scenario for the smaller butts.  The big butts usually just commit and it's no big deal, but they were very lethargic that day.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 06:00:56 AM »
I'm surprised someone in particular hasn't joined in on this thread?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 06:24:42 AM »

They probably have a bad attitude.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 07:28:32 AM »

They probably have a bad attitude.

I actually was thinking of Koga with the title "Butt Stuff", but you're point is well taken after that slow day on Sunday!  :o

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 08:13:54 AM »
 Nice Butt, sounds like a fun day except for the Googans ::) SD Bay is usually good for a few Legals too. Hopefully the Release will bring good vibes for next trip 8) What broke on the boat ?