Author Topic: Only One Out There  (Read 1448 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Only One Out There
« on: March 07, 2023, 10:10:01 PM »
Launched out of HB around 0730. 1030 high, strong moon phase and current but nobody likes a full moon. I was the only car in the ramp lot. Thought that was odd. Normally at least a few trailers before me. Windy.com claimed the water might be a bit sporty but driving PCH the past few days I just didn't believe it.

I wanted to dedicate some time this day to micro fishing since I could tuck behind the LB break wall if it were sporty and fish reefs and rocks with #10 hooks and loligo tentacles. Forgot the transducer so I was going by phone Navionics and feel for the day.

Turned out to be pretty nice out there, a bit of a mixed swell that picked up through the day but no complaints.

First reef, no bites. Second reef, drifted off it by at least a hundred feet then brought in a mackerel. Good to see them finally coming in! It's been a while. Brought in 4 on the micro setup before leaving them and focusing back on species hunting.

A couple more dud spots, then pulled up on one of the oil islands and was getting picked at. Hoped it was something else but had a feeling it was a Señorita. Nice way to mix things up I suppose.

Farmed a mac but couldn't get another bite otherwise.

Took 30 minutes to toy around with rigging dead mackerel for a slow troll, learned a few ways I definitely don't wanna rig them. Was gonna slow troll the mackerel for halibut inside, but my gut said nope for the lack of life in the area. Figured I had an hour left in me before I head in. Decided to make a quick run for bass. I figured if one of my spots was still as hot as it was before the recent storms, I could nab half a dozen and bring home two keeper turds for dinner.

I felt pretty good about that, because I called the shot! Half a dozen bites, half a dozen bass. Last one was my second keeper so I threw it in the sack, cut the lines and headed home without burning the spot more than I needed to.

Lime flavor shorty.

Token checker.

New ice pick for ike jime.

Banana for scale.

Got back to the ramp and saw the DFW surveyor for the first time in a few months. Apparently I was the only one who went out fishing today. So she was probably getting great at Sudoku. Or making friends with my birds.

Speaking of birds, Steve the Seagull was eyeing my lunch bag as I was coming back from the bathroom. I yelled "hEY. NO." He looked at me quick then lunged for my Vons bread loaf in its own bag. Stomped at him, and he let it go, but he let go in time for it to fall in the water. Fker! Almost a whole loaf wasted. Condensed a big fistful in my hand and threw it at 'em, he swallowed the whole goddamn thing in one go. Choke on that!

___

Also went for a quick jaunt recently with my lady. Cold air and poor choice of clothing made for a quick boat ride but I managed my first sheephead in a long long time, on the jerkbait! I might try scouting for sheep spots with garden snails for bait at some point soon. Glad there are tighter regs on them now, and I won't pick on 'em too much when I find them, but would be cool to have a specific spot in my back pocket for them.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Only One Out There
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 05:17:17 AM »
As always Jeremy, enjoyed the read.  Gotta ask, why did you have a whole loaf of bread with you?
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 05:44:16 AM »
Nice outing, always good to have your other half join you 8) Ice pick, better than Aluminum Shampoo ;D I never thought of using garden snails for bait, I just remember what pouring salt on them did as a kid :o Glad you are getting on the water 8) 8)  Oooh that banana ::) ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 06:17:45 AM »
Banana for scale.

I was going to say "nice trip" and say some other nice things, but I see you would rather tempt fate and throw shade at the fish gods instead.   You've been warned!  lol

I will say it was a successful trip.  The last time I trolled a dead mack, I hooked a marlin outside LaJolla!  (That was around 25 years ago though)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 09:30:24 AM »
As always Jeremy, enjoyed the read.  Gotta ask, why did you have a whole loaf of bread with you?

Those uncut fresh loaves from the grocery store are cheap and delicious, good way to keep the tummy from grumbling on the water. Steve the seagull agrees.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 09:40:29 AM »
I got pretty good action out of a whole dead mac with a 3oz slider sinker above the hook and the hook through the nose. I think a chin weight rig could be killer but didnt have a needle to do that right. Small butterflied mac didn’t impress me, at least on the 3 way. Gonna try my hand at bridling baits.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 06:01:08 AM »
Gonna try my hand at bridling baits.

I'm going to try that also...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.