Author Topic: Operation Line Stretcher (3/4)  (Read 1432 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Operation Line Stretcher (3/4)
« on: March 05, 2023, 08:37:32 AM »
Met up with Steve at the ramp for an exploratory run to find squid and big game.  We were going to trout fish, but i wanted to try out the new jig stick and see if that Avet MC Cast can actually cast without backlashing everytime.  I also brought the live bait BFT stick to have something big pull on it to test out the rod and the new Fathom II 2 speed.

Steve and I found some beds, but couldn't get any squid to the surface (if even they were squid or not).  We found some beds and caught eggs, but no squid.  The mackerel were so thick, we wouldn't have even got one up to the surface.

We loaded up on macks for bait and to save as shark bait anyway.

Squatch's beard is definitely filling out!

We started drifting mackerel and I get slammed.  Circle hook, so I was feeling confident and it was on.  Line ran in a funny way, but I felt like it might have been a halibut before the dogs stole it.  As I was retying, Steve saw a dog eating what probably was my mackerel, so false alarm.

30 minutes late and my rod doubles over!  It was a hell of a fight, but quickly realized I hooked the biggest Sea Lion out of the 14 around the boat.  I threw the 2-speed into action and couldn't believe how this rod and reel just whooped this sea lion's ass!  I was shocked by how good this set up was and the lion was hooked right in the corner of the mouth!  This reel has an awesome low gear on it and the rod seems light, but I was impressed on how much pressure I could put on it!

After the second time to the boat, I couldn't bust the line to save my life, so Steve took the knife to the leader.  we were on high alert after that as the other 14 sealions were circling our boat and looking like they were coming in for the attack!  Heads out of the water like rabid dogs!  Well, we moved out of there just in case.

I was stoked on how well the Avet MC Cast did on the jig stick!  The cast control actually works as intended!  I don't know why I was suspect on it really serving as a cast control, but I am super impressed!  I even broke the cherry on it!  Well, I was casting a big heavy iron trying to simulate a big lure that I would be casting to Bluefin and it got whacked!  It was big for the species, but not what i was kind of hoping for unless i was targeting 1.5# macks.  LOL

Anyway, back in time to wash the boat and get ready for the fights at my buddy's house.  It was a good Saturday indeed!

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Line Stretcher (3/4)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 01:30:55 PM »
1.5#s is an eater!!!

Too bad no big game besides dogs but good line stretching practice.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 07:35:34 PM »
Pesky dogs >:( Sounds like the whole pack had your number, but on the bright side the forecasts are starting to look better ;)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 09:04:57 PM »
Fun day. Didn’t work out as planned, but I had a good time.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 07:46:17 AM »
50 years fishing the ocean and I never caught a sea lion, you are the king!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)