Author Topic: Virginia Beach Guy: Where's all the speckles?  (Read 2306 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Virginia Beach Guy: Where's all the speckles?
« on: October 27, 2021, 05:26:42 AM »
So Andrew was out for work from VA Beach last minute and needed to get some fishing time in since he wasn't expecting to be out here.  He already saw a box van slam into a fire hydrant downtown this morning leaving a 100' gusher and wanted out of the downtown area for at least a bit.  We decided on hitting MB over the pier which was more out of the city than right in the city.

He's never been on Fiesta Island before, so we decided to spend the entire time out there to escape any afternoon rush hour.  He dug the island as it didn't seem like it almost should have been there to him.  Squatch was on the way to meet us.

We fished a shoreline with less wind and picked up a half dozen spotties.  Andrew was first on the boards with one and he said it made the whole trip which was nice to hear considering it was only a spotty.  I told him we'll go for spotless seatrout later on.

Steve found us and got a line in immediately.  He was wondering if I brought the cheater sauce, but forgot it.

As darkness fell, we moved to the other side of the island and put some baits out for bats.  Someone left an entire pile of wood at a ring, so we had some warmth as the sun went down.

Andrew wanted to topwater fish, so I tied on a spook for him and off walking the dog he went.  He missed one blow-up and bait was all over.

He accidentally snagged a smelt and reeled it it.

I told him to cast it right back out with the smelt on and that's the secret way to easily catch the corvina.  He looked like I was crazy and Squatch followed up with "That's the magic Spook PLUS rig".  He totally thought we were pulling his leg, but cast out anyway.

Boom!

He was pretty shocked it worked and then goes "It's a trout, but where are all the specks?!?!?!" hahahaha  His first Shortfin Corvina!

He kept casting the spook and the long rods were riddled with quick little clicker runs and dancing rod tips, but nothing big wanted to play.  We packed it in by 8:30 and called it a successful night.

I heard the surf was pumping and the oil spill was being cleaned up everywhere.  Hopefully it's all cleaned up by next week so we could start resuming the Tuesday Night Surf Shark hunt.

Thanks for reading.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Beach Guy: Where's all the speckles?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 07:58:19 AM »
It was good to see Andrew again. Been awhile.

I knew he was sketchy about the spook plus rig.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 08:51:36 AM »
That's cool he got on some fish 8)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 10:44:02 AM »
I’ll have to try the spook plus rig some time…very cool getting him on some stuffs.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 04:31:03 AM »
Great read Tom, glad you got him on some fish
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
Good call. Nice speckless trout. Wonder if they catch em in similar fashion where he comes from.