Boat Fishing > Saltwater Boat Fishing Reports

Spring is Springing 4/21

(1/3) > >>

jrodda:
Launched 0700. Wanted to scout for threshers and plan B look for bass.

Headed to the LB break wall first. So much bait, birds, and mammals for miles. Water temps swinging wildly between 57-61. High tide 0900 had me excited cuz I got my first last year on the same tide.

Set up shop around 0730. Realized my frozen mackerel were pretty old and mushy at this point. Didn't bring a lighter spinning rod or sabiki, but casted a 1oz crank on my jigstick into the bait while I had the mackerel on a float. No luck on either. Reset in a few different spots with no sign of fish before I bailed at peak high tide to try bass.

Hopping my way toward the HB flat, a couple spots that usually produce were dead. Then I got some dead weight as I was reeling up from one. Short halibut maybe? Finally? Nope. Second mantis shrimp this spring. How do I have 2 mantis shrimp to 0 halibut after over a year of bounce balling? Very silly.

Got over to my honey hole where I should easily break a skunk. Downsized my offering and popped a short sandie. 10am and the wind was already making some chop, gonna be a long ride home...

Another sandie, then a calico in the mix.

Saw a guy in a 35'ish sportfisher bendo on something, following it around for a good 15 minutes at least. Thresher, maybe BSB. Didn't keep up with him. Did mark something big and lonely.

Fished til 1100 with nothing more to show. Short period had built up over the hour and it was a sh!tty ride home. Much less bait in shallow but still plenty of dolphins cruising every which way. If the conditions hold up I'll have a better game plan for the Ts next Sunday.

Latimeria:
BTW, if you find the Sea Pens, you'll find the halibut.  That was the greatest mystery I had for about 15 years or more.

Latimeria:
Also... That looks like a fish rising to take the bait... or possibly your lure...

vdisney:
Very cool indeed Jeremy, I really want to take our boat out.  Only problem is they'd need a crane to get me out of it, this knee thing sucks

Latimeria:

--- Quote from: vdisney on April 22, 2024, 05:56:51 AM --- this knee thing sucks

--- End quote ---

I was wondering how it was going.  Man Verne, I hope you heal up quickly.  Keep us posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version