Author Topic: 2015 - Angling Year In Review  (Read 2816 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
2015 - Angling Year In Review
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »
I want to throw this up as a place holder for all of your year in reviews.  I know Christmas is in a few days, but maybe start planning or prewriting a story on word to post up how your year went.  2015 was an El Nino year like no other.  Even though the second half of the year was slow from the shore, the first half was stellar! 

Get your pics and stories ready.  It will be fun to sit back and reflect on all the adventures you guys had in 2015.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 - Angling Year In Review
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »
This year was cool.

Not gona post all the pics, just some of the better ones...

This 7 I was just stupid hammered. I got a screamer, engaged the reel and pulled back on it which landed me flat on my back. During the fall I heard a loud pop from my left ankle. (the pain lasted for about 3 months) fought it from this position for a bit then relized that I needed to get up. stood up, finished the job and got a pic from a passer by..

couple more..

finished up with  all the land based gear:
12/0 senator with a custom arm and knob.
600 yards of JB hollow to 350 yards of 130lb mono
custom barrett shark rod to 130lbs.

a blufin from the company trip

a bunch of cats from 5 to 12 lbs. I believe this is the one over 12

the 18 inch spottie, estimated 3lbs

FW largemouth

Theres a bat over 50" but cant find the pic.

Again, not all the species nor all the catches just some of the highlights.....

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 07:21:56 PM by Eric H »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »
Like Eric, just a few of the better catchs this year.  Hope 2016 is as good to me as this year was  8)

Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »
Cool thread! I succeeded in my goal of catching fish every month of the year.  I did a couple of dedicated fishing trips, and I also took advantage of any non-fishing trips by squeezing in a little fishing on the side.

January - Went to New Orleans with my girlfriend so she could attend a work conference. Spent all day on a pier in Grand Isle, LA.  Eight hours with bait in the water and I managed just one fish!  It was a decent sheepshead, and at least it posed really well for a photo.

February - Fished during a snowstorm at a power plant cooling lake near my house.  Even though the air temperature was below freezing, the water stayed around 80 degrees.  Caught my first blue catfish.  I was geared up for much larger fish, so this 26" one came in without a fight.

March - My girlfriend was still living in Wisconsin, so we made a weekend trip to Green Bay to ice fish for lake whitefish.  We compromised between doing it on our own and hiring a guide by renting an unguided ice shack that was already set up in a good whitefish spot.  It was a nice way to fish an unfamiliar location.

April - I fished quite a bit in big rivers this month in Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois.  I made a point to learn as much as I could about smallmouth buffalo, and I managed to catch quite a few at several locations.

May - At the end of the month I took a week long road trip from Illinois to Oklahoma to attend the North American Native Fishes Association convention.  Along the way I caught the last Lepomis genus sunfish I needed, a bantam sunfish.  This is actually a pretty big one.

June - On the last day of the Oklahoma road trip, I caught another species that I've wanted for a long time, an Ozark bass.  It's a close relative of the rock bass.

July - We had an incredibly wet June in Illinois, so 90% of my fishing spots were blown out.  One of the only spots I could continue to fish was the same place I caught the smallmouth buffalo in April.  I caught a very difficult species there on one of my visits, a river carpsucker.  They're not a rare fish, they just have really tiny mouths and are good at spitting out the hook as soon as they feel it.  I got lucky.

August - While taking a Nature Conservancy writer fishing in northern Illinois, I caught a surprise goldeye.  It was supposed to be a gar fishing trip, but we didn't see one the entire weekend.  Later in the month I caught my 300th species while on a microfishing trip to Kentucky.

September - I finally tried fishing the Chain of Rocks, a natural feature on the Mississippi River near St. Louis.  Below the rocks is supposed to be great for shovelnose sturgeon, and sure enough my buddy and I caught 5 of them in about 4 hours of fishing.

October - At this point my girlfriend had moved out to Escondido, so I came out to visit her.  Originally we planned to just mess around with a little bit of pier fishing, but the crazy tuna bite changed our mind.  We rented a boat with a friend from the area and had an awesome day pelagic fishing between Newport Beach and Catalina Island.

November - Wasn't sure what else to do, so I made a return trip to the Chain of Rocks to see if the shovelnose sturgeon would still be biting and see what else showed up.  Fishing was way slower, and the only catch of the day was this PR freshwater drum.  We made fish soup with the camp stove and ate it right there on the shore.

December - This is an easy one!  Hands down the fish of the month was the 43" wingspan bat ray that Tom and the rest of the crew helped me catch here in San Diego.  I'm still grinning ear to ear about this one!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 08:37:22 AM »
Awesome fish guys!  Wow, that's a big old sheepshead!

I'll get mine up this week.  It's been a great season for me as well... (epic if I didn't lose that monster local 'Hoo)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:20:48 AM »
I'll try to sum my year up as it was a good year!

I started off on January 1st this year with a bang!  I took Mom out whale watching and fishing and there was plenty to see.  Last drift of the day and I get this 34# butt!

Surf sharks were going off and my back was in rough shape!

There was another successful Bat Fight...

A BIG Soupie that was attacked during the fight!  It was a BIG 7-gill that went after this girl!

More big Soupies!

record sized Soupies!!

Giant preggo surf Bats!

Nice surf Leopards

Recovered from Back Surgery and returned to surf fishing for Sevengills!

Black sea Bass in the bay...

Did I mention El Nino 2015 yet?

The first of my 50+ pound Bluefin on the Boma.

I lost a triple digit Bluefin, but redeemed myself with Big Eye Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna and more BIG Bluefin Tuna!

5 species of tuna on board the Square Boma in 2015! (Not including bonito or there would be 6)

Tons of nice bass.

A Mess of Big Ling!

Lost my 7' local Wahoo after putting my time in....

My best Yellowtail season in years with a bunch of 20-38# class fish!

Great Lobster Trip!

Well, I did very well and left a lot of good fish out, but this sums up my 2015 El nino season for sure!

May all of your fishing adventures in 2016 be happy and produce big fish!