Author Topic: Daddy-Daughter Skiff Trip (9/20)  (Read 3822 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Daddy-Daughter Skiff Trip (9/20)
« on: September 21, 2015, 07:11:51 AM »
With the Bayfest going on as well as the SWS bass tourney, I wanted nothing to do with the big ramps this weekend.  I worked around the yard and decided to take my daughter to the South Bay for a little bass fishing and to get her more time behind the wheel and on the water.

I got her up at 6am and we were at the ramp by 6:30.  She is not a morning girl, but was very excited to go out on the boat.

On the way out we saw TONS of these strange jellyfish.  I'm not sure if I know what kind they were either as they had these little strange balled stringers hanging off the back.  The water was 81.5 degrees and wow, was it warm!  Just then we saw a huge sea turtle feeding on a jellyfish!  We wound up seeing 3 different turtles feeding, but everytime I took the camera out, they would sink out.  No doubt camera shy, but Hannah was thrilled to see them.  The big one must have been 400-500 pounds!

We got to fishing and I had to teach Hannah to cast a spinning reel.  She's always used a Zebco push button, but just finally picked up casting the spinner and looking like a pro!  We gout our share of bass!

I taught her to drive the boat really fast and we took a short break before hitting the fishing again.  She liked "touring" the bay at top speed.

Back to some catching!  Lost count, but we picked up a few dozen bass at least!

I got some great video also.

Then, my curse continued.  I took my heavy bass gear and put on a custom 6"hard bait I got from a buddy on the east coast.  I trolled a small LC on one side and the big bruiser on the other.  I hear "DADDY!" and look to see the big rod doubled over and thumping!  My initial thought was a big halibut and it still may have been, but I felt a bunch of huge tail swipes on my line and a lot of bull dogging.  I didn't make any ground, but he started bringing the boat with him as he had some weight and attitude for sure!  All of a sudden... line goes limp.  It just unhooked itself.  WTF!?!?

I reel in the lure to see some BIG teeth marks scraped into it and they were pretty spread out so it wasn't a bonito or anything and it had some size and teeth.  This made me think that possibly it could have been an exotic with the warm water as a black sea bass wouldn't have left such teeth marks in the lure.

Oh well, only guesses now as I'll never know what I had.

It was a great day on the water with my little girl and she's already asked me to go out again.  It looks like I might have a new regular deck hand on the boat from here on out!  LOL

Thanks for reading and until next tide!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Daddy-Daughter Skiff Trip (9/20)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »
Nice work bassin wit the munchkin pops! As for the farmed giant, seems like you have some sort of Monkey on your back, perhaps another trip offshore, with me, will change your luck around B)

Nice work makin memories Tommy that's what it's all about!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »
What a difference from conditions on the outside. We came in from the 9 in 20kt winds. Wet trip. Beer and Margaritas at the yacht club took the edge off though.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 10:11:38 AM »
What a great day! I'm so glad my daughter loves fishing too!

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:52:27 AM »
Time well spent in my book.  8)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »
Glad to see the boat back in action 8) Mystery fish are always interesting too, Quality time on the water makes for a great day 8) 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:42:14 PM »

These weird Jellyfish dominated the back bay!  Not exactly sure what they are as I'm not sure I've ever seen them before.

Some of them were pretty big!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 04:01:09 PM »
Cool looking jelly! Hoping for many fishing trips in my future with my girl.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 03:59:28 PM »
It's good that you got out.  Happy to hear your boat is going again.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 10:46:07 PM »
Jellies will inherit our world ...

Wait till they figure out how to walk  :D