The Craft of Fishing Gear > Lure & Rig Crafting Board

My current casting shark rig.

(1/9) > >>

sasquatch:
 I was making up some rigs to replace the 4 I lost a couple weeks ago and thought I would snap a few pics of my current set up. It is not the only rig I use, and the methods are not all my own invention, but more of a gleaning from the successes and failures from my experience and those of others.

Anyway, here we go.

First, tools and materials.

135# Nylon Coated Stainless Cable (24")
1mm Double Sleeve Copper Crimps (4)
3-Way Swivels (tossed the bag, not sure what size) (1)
Hook of Choice (I like 10/0 octopus)
Heat Shrink Tubing (1 1/2" of 3/8" diameter) (2)
80# mono (2 1/2')
Sinker of Choice (1)

Hand Crimper (cup to cup)
Lighter
High Power Reading Glasses

Assembly

First, I tie an offshore loop around the eye of the hook and double crimp it.

Then I slide a section of heat shrink over the knot and the crimps and shrink it down while keeping the hook in my desired position.

Then, this is important, slide the remaining two crimps and heat shrink tubing onto the cable before making another offshore loop around the swivel. Double crimp here as well.

And shrink tube.

To another eye of the swivel, I tie the 80# mono, and attach a sinker. I like the sputnik type.

Ready to fish.

Post up how you make yours, I'd like to see what is working for other folks.

Latimeria:
Great write up Steve!  I like the glasses in the first picture though.  8)

My rig is almost identical,  so I'm good.  Proven success.

WheresMyBeer:
I agree the first pic was funny with the glasses. I'm so there now  :-[

Made a few like this recently sans the shrink wrap. Is that just for added confidence or does it serve a real purpose?

Also curious what knot you prefer on the 80lb.

Thanks!

sasquatch:
 Hey Dave, those are +3.00 glasses. Way more than I need for just seeing, but they make putting the crimps on way easy.

Tom came up with the heat shrink idea. I like it because it keeps the hook and swivel from getting twisted around or stuck in a weird position on the loop. Not sure how to explain. It doesn't hurt anything I can see.

For the knots in the heavy mono, I use a 3 turn uni knot. Haven't had one come undone and it is easy to tie.

raychavez91:
Very nice looking stuff man, I use the same. And occasionally I'll use pulley rigs if I'm fishing light gear for leos. But lately I've bin obsessed with slide fishing, learning the ins and outs. So far only big rays on whole macks with it, but I feel I'll run into a good 1 soon ;) here's 1 I made

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version