Author Topic: Slow Learner  (Read 1928 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Slow Learner
« on: September 03, 2023, 03:15:41 PM »
The last several times we went our bait is dying or dead in a hour.  Today for the first time I noticed a valve on the inlet for the tank, it was almost closed.  Opened it up a turn or two and PRESTO, much water.  Our bait this morning lasted the full five hours we fished, and swam away when we emptied the tank. BTW, we got skunked   ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 04:37:59 PM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Learner
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 05:16:57 PM »
Lol oops.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 05:32:02 PM »
Woof, now you know.

Sometimes water temp change between the harbor and your destination can kill em quickly too. Had a number of mornings at Dana losing dozens of scoops of bait in the first 20 minutes of the ride out, water temp seemed to be the accepted reason.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 06:11:50 PM »
 According to the Pros. There is a big difference between a Live Well and a Bait Tank. The circulation of the water and frequency of the circulation is what the bait needs, I also lost some bait in mine as it is not a true ''Bait Tank'' It's a learning curve for sure :)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 11:32:31 AM »
Same thing happened to me.  I thought I only had a bubbling baitwell, but after realizing the inflow tube was screwed to the closed position.  I was super happy to realize I had a real operating livewell!  lol

Super happy to see you guys still getting out on the boat!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 11:22:14 AM »
Same thing happened to me.  I thought I only had a bubbling baitwell, but after realizing the inflow tube was screwed to the closed position.  I was super happy to realize I had a real operating livewell!  lol

Super happy to see you guys still getting out on the boat!

I found out if I opened it all the way, the 1/2" drain won't drain fast enough and the tank overflowed.  About half way seems to do the job
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 03:04:32 PM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect