Author Topic: Calming the Nerves at the Bat Cave (9/24)  (Read 2192 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Calming the Nerves at the Bat Cave (9/24)
« on: September 24, 2021, 04:21:48 PM »
Short story about why my nerves are shot....  I got a call at 8:30 am to a crying wife saying that my daughter and granddaughter were in a car accident and their car rolled a few times and ended up on the roof...  I was on my way home within a second.  Hospitals won't let visitors in, so it was a nerve wracking time.  Fortunately, they are both doing as well as you could expect from a rollover accident.  Actually, my granddaughter was pretty much unscathed, but my daughter got it a bit worse with the air bags, glass and stuff.

Anyway, I've not heard about the boat in a week, so I decided to get out fishing at the old Bat Cave this morning, so I could sit quietly and just unwind.  Dog walkers (that became dog swimmers right in front of my rods) and strokers everywhere, but I tried not to let that deter me.

I was off to a bad start as I caught six of these guys.  Not quite Minus One's, but a definite ZERO total for 6 fish.  hahahaha

A couple walked down to talk to me and I really didn't want to be bothered, but they were very nice and I had nowhere else to go.  When the gentleman asked why I am fishing at this exact spot, I replied "It's the furthest spot from the walkway I could get so I didn't have to deal with many people".  They got my point, but we had a pleasurable conversation anyway.

I was finally nice and relaxed when the bay started to come to life with people and I was starting to get packed up as it was still a pleasant 3.5 hours soaking some baits in the quiet of the bay.  Just then I turned around to see two strokers coming in hot right at my line.  I've always thought that being a stroker was like getting into your car, putting it in reverse and trying to drive with only looking over your shoulder every once in a while.  Seems so ridiculous when I think about it that way.

No joke, as I was taking this picture, I saw my line go absolutely limp and knew I was on because it was a big mackerel head.  The girl strokers literarily stopped "Stroking" right in front of me for a rest while I was tight but the line was screaming out.  I asked them to "duck" as the line shot right at their heads over the boat and I had all open water at this point.  I knew it wasn't a monster, but I was only using my coffee grinder and seriously this has been my biggest bat in 2 or 3 years.  LOL

I finally get it on shore and maybe a 40# model.

Nothing huge, but it put a smile on my face knowing I saved my morning with a final second catch.  My shoulder is a little sore from it, but that's to be expected from any legit bat ray.  hahaha

Well, I packed it in and got home to call about how my boat investigation was going.............
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Calming the Nerves at the Bat Cave (9/24)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:59:08 PM »
Your text about the girls shook me. Glad they’re doing ok.

Those bats had a little more size than I thought.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:47:48 PM »
Glad your family is okay, that’s a bad call. Nice that the rays were home to make your trip worthwhile.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 10:31:16 PM »
 Scary stuff, glad they are OK. Good to see the Bat Cave showing signs of life 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 03:09:19 AM »
My heart goes out to you Tom, I'm glad they're okay.  I can relate to a rough phone call..............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 10:43:16 AM »
Glad to hear they are OK, hang in there Tom.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 02:45:27 PM »
Glad they're ok Tom. Getting on the water is great therapy.