Author Topic: Lever vs. Star Drags  (Read 4182 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Lever vs. Star Drags
« on: May 26, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
Hey guys,
Been looking at options for upgrading to a conventional set up. (scouring the classifieds and craigslist for used stuff)
I've come across several lever drag reels and I want to know the reasons for the different styles.
The main reason I'm interested is because I've seen several lever drags in left hand configurations and zero star drag ones.
SO, what is the reasoning behind them and what are the pros/cons for using them the way we do in the surf?

Thank you!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Lever vs. Star Drags
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:16:46 PM »
Use caution on craigslist chad, unfortunately there's a handful of dishonest people on there...

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:29:46 PM »
ditto ...

Craigslist is like the spooky badlands now. Have a sidearm with you if you meet up with someone.  ;)

Ebay is your friend, and bonus buyer satisfaction insured.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 07:20:03 AM »
Chad, you're not meaning left handed as in having the handle on the same side as it is on your spinner are you? Maybe your already aware of this but ...The handle on a conventional should be on the opposite side of which ever you have it on your spinner. On a spinning set up you should be using your strong, dominant arm on the rod and your other for reeling. With a conventional, you use your strong arm to crank the reel.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 08:07:25 AM »
Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll be careful.  I'll start checking ebay too!

Joe- Yes, I'm looking for a conventional with the handle on the left side.  I have a couple baitcasters, and all my spinners are set up that way.  I have a Penn Jigmaster on a 7' tuna stick that I use in the harbor.  The handle is on the right side, and it feels so awkward, especially when I have a fish on.
The other issue is that I've got a bum left shoulder, so it's much easier to hang onto the rod with my right arm and just crank with the left.

I'm not 100% dead set on a lefty, but it would be nice if I could find one at a reasonable price.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »
Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll be careful.  I'll start checking ebay too!

Joe- Yes, I'm looking for a conventional with the handle on the left side.  I have a couple baitcasters, and all my spinners are set up that way.  I have a Penn Jigmaster on a 7' tuna stick that I use in the harbor.  The handle is on the right side, and it feels so awkward, especially when I have a fish on.
The other issue is that I've got a bum left shoulder, so it's much easier to hang onto the rod with my right arm and just crank with the left.

I'm not 100% dead set on a lefty, but it would be nice if I could find one at a reasonable price.

Fish with what's the most comfortable. I'm left handed, but do all my fishing like a righty. I'm weird.

Like everyone else, go eBay. Safer, more secure. Knowing what your rod specs are at least helps in narrowing down the size of your future reel. I prefer an all metal reel when dealing with drag burners. No flex in the frame or spool. I'm totally sold on the star drag Penn Fathom line of reels. I feel the FTH40 is a perfect reel for all around grinner and bat ray action. Hold lots of line and has a butt load of drag, yet doesn't have a huge profile which makes it easier for casting. They're pretty damn affordable too. Free spool is better for star drags too.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:24:51 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »
Funny, all my spinners have the handle on the left and all my conventionals have the handle on the right. I've always been like that and won't have it any other way.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
All my reels have the crank on the right.

Cannot fathom why spinners are always set on the left.

Jim

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 08:48:50 PM »
I'd go with star drag all the way for casting. And as far as reel handle preference,  I use both lefty and righty on everything. Depends on the application.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 08:07:18 AM »
My 2 cents on left vs right....The reasoning for having spinner handles on the left is that you don't use a spinner to directly crank on the line like you can with a conventional. With a spinner set up ,your strong arm is used on the rod to pull it up and back against the pressure of a fish on and then you reel down while lowering your rod to gain line so not much cranking force is ever put on the reel or needed to turn the handle. If you do use the reel to power crank on the line your going to burn out it's worm drive gear and be one of those guys that's drag is always slipping as your reeling in against pressure.The rod should be doing most of the work. The reel should be used in a such a way where it's almost just taking up the slack as your reeling down while you lower your rod. With a conventional, not the case, you can directly crank on a tight line and use it almost as a winch, using your stong hand to do so. Your left being just being used for it's thumb to level wind the line onto the spool.
JOE

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 09:19:38 AM »
A lot of spinners out there, you can switch the handle to either side....

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 02:21:54 PM »
I guess growing up using all spinning reels I always put the handle on the left because I cast with my right and didn't want to switch the rod from hand to hand. When I got by first  baitcaster for bass fishing I picked a real und Abu with a left hand crank. I guess it's just been hard to transition. Looks like I'll just have to get used to it if I want to go conventional I guess.  8)