Author Topic: I'm 50 and my knees are gone  (Read 2679 times)

WasWheresMyBeer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
I'm 50 and my knees are gone
« on: October 16, 2021, 11:23:21 PM »
So I haven't been fishing for the past two years cause my knees are totally gone. I'm bone on bone trying to put off knee replacements at all costs. Any of you older dudes with similar issues do any treatments that have worked? I'm in PT now for 6 months which has helped some but any success with injections of any type of treatments? Would love to know. If you've had knees done, what's recovery like? Should I do both? Right knee is way worse thinking one at a time. Any thoughts or experience welcomed

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: I'm 50 and my knees are gone
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 07:27:22 AM »
So I haven't been fishing for the past two years cause my knees are totally gone. I'm bone on bone trying to put off knee replacements at all costs. Any of you older dudes with similar issues do any treatments that have worked? I'm in PT now for 6 months which has helped some but any success with injections of any type of treatments? Would love to know. If you've had knees done, what's recovery like? Should I do both? Right knee is way worse thinking one at a time. Any thoughts or experience welcomed

Great to see you back on the site Dave!  I think Tim might have had some knee work.  I've only been both shoulders and spine, but my left knee is totally feeling terrible lately.
Damn man, I hope you get those babies taken care of so you could get back on the sand.  Hell, maybe even just to get out and be a part of the cheering section.   ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 07:51:59 AM »
Sorry to hear about your knees. I know it's apples and oranges, but in my mid 20's I put off back surgery for about a year and a half while I tried every possible PT, chiro, steroid injections, electric therapy, etc. For some reason I viewed surgery as giving up. When I finally asked for surgery and they did an MRI pre-op, the surgeon said something along the lines of holy sh!t dude, you should have had surgery well over a year ago. There was a ton of scar tissue built up around my spinal cord and sciatic nerve. It made the recovery take a lot longer than it should have. The reason I bring that up is I'm wondering if you're avoiding knee replacements for a similar reason? Because if that's the end game no matter what, then you might as well get it over with.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »
Had two shoulder rebuilds and know several folks who wore out both knees.

All the therapy, witches brew and other band-aid potions will not fix it.

People are up and walking real quick and the recovery is much better these days.

Do what your doctor says.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 06:25:05 PM »
Got buddies and clients who have new knees and hips who tried put it off as long as they could. Every single one said they should of done it sooner. One still has trouble getting up when fishing the rail rod but he's older than dirt and prefers standing up to fight the big ones.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 08:32:36 PM »
New hip for me last December and now both shoulders and left knee are toast, going to see the surgeon tomorrow for my shoulders and set a date to clean them up and get me back to normal if there is such a thing ::) Luckily they aren't as bad as Tom's. The knee is another story but PT is the only way to heal faster after the surgery. Bottom line is ......we ain't 21 anymore :o :o Good to see you back on the site, I was wondering where you were. The injections didn't work for me, they just numb the pain but don't fix the problem. Looking back, I wish I would have done the hip sooner cause the outcome is life without limited mobility, a big relief :) I will be 55 soon and I feel every bit of it so I say get the surgery and get on with enjoying the things you like, 3-4 months of down time is worth it, good luck to you 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 07:11:14 PM »
My father-in-law got both knees replaced. He wishes he got it done sooner.

I think my knees are still okay considering how many years of basketball leagues I've been in, but my back is not happy. I'm not doing myself any favors with my fat gut.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 05:15:42 AM »
Man, I need to get some of the newly acquired extra weight off.  My left knee is acting up bad and I'm scared to get a prognosis....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 05:24:06 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 09:46:25 AM »
I'm lucky, I'm 21 years past 50 and still have all my original parts (less hearing).  Hopefully everything will work out for you 
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

WasWheresMyBeer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 10:30:29 PM »
Some great feedback and what I hear from docs and PT. Hear the same about the injection stuff ... your body just pushes it aside as foreign substance. Ben you kinda hit it on the head. I had a gnarly knee rebuild like 12 years ago and the recovery was a year, so dreading doing that all over again. Was the most painful thing I've gone through physically. At this point can't even walk through an airport to see my folks in Hawaii so have to get this done. Miss fishing with y'all too so that's a major driving point. Damn blue fin just passing me by too lol ... Damn these decisions suck big time. Mike i hear people regret not doing it sooner. Ugh lol. Keep those bendos a plenty guys! Looking forward to the next Bat Fight one way or another.