Author Topic: The fat lady sang  (Read 1957 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
The fat lady sang
« on: April 04, 2019, 12:03:54 AM »
Tried a different spot tonight and instantly hooked up with a small guitar fish. Not what I wanted but I wasn’t skunked.  Was throwing into some nice deep water and all the grass was sticking to the sand so it was almost perfect. 3 baits in I get a knock down and slack line, then pulled tight and rips line. Tighten down the drag and haven’t even gotten the rod out of the holder and I’m already in braid and it’s dissapearing quick. I have one hand on the rod in the holder and my other one trying to send a text to get a sand hand to show up but my fingers are wet and my iPhone didn’t want to cooperate.
By the time I shoved my phone back in my pocket I had lost about 100yrds of braid and it was still pulling line. I had the sealine x 50 buttoned down so it must have been 15-17lbs of drag and my rod loooked like it was maxed out but line kept coming off. Finally it stopped running and I got the rod between my legs and gave it a few pumps to gain line when it went slack... like the line broke slack, I reeled in fast and got my mono connection back on the spool and it came tight, then noticed it was just the weight of the Sputnik I was feeling. Brought in an empty hook and kinked up wire leader.

Replaced the wire really quick and nailed a 51” leopard about 15 mins later but that was it. The tide came in and pushed me off the beach and I had to leave.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:05:43 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: The fat lady sang
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 05:41:38 AM »
Sucks to lose those big ones.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 05:44:13 AM »
I have one hand on the rod in the holder and my other one trying to send a text to get a sand hand to show up

Now that's a sight I'd like to have seen..........................  ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 08:53:06 AM »
Sucks to lose those big ones.

It was probably a big ray. But who knows. I’ll be back again for sure
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 09:37:38 AM »
Tis' the season!  Bummed you lost it whatever it was, but that is great to see the spring run is picking up!

Thanks for the report Chris.   :D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
Tried a different spot tonight and instantly hooked up with a small guitar fish. Not what I wanted but I wasn’t skunked.  Was throwing into some nice deep water and all the grass was sticking to the sand so it was almost perfect. 3 baits in I get a knock down and slack line, then pulled tight and rips line. Tighten down the drag and haven’t even gotten the rod out of the holder and I’m already in braid and it’s dissapearing quick. I have one hand on the rod in the holder and my other one trying to send a text to get a sand hand to show up but my fingers are wet and my iPhone didn’t want to cooperate.
By the time I shoved my phone back in my pocket I had lost about 100yrds of braid and it was still pulling line. I had the sealine x 50 buttoned down so it must have been 15-17lbs of drag and my rod loooked like it was maxed out but line kept coming off. Finally it stopped running and I got the rod between my legs and gave it a few pumps to gain line when it went slack... like the line broke slack, I reeled in fast and got my mono connection back on the spool and it came tight, then noticed it was just the weight of the Sputnik I was feeling. Brought in an empty hook and kinked up wire leader.

Replaced the wire really quick and nailed a 51” leopard about 15 mins later but that was it. The tide came in and pushed me off the beach and I had to leave.

Riveting entertainment, I was there with all the way. Congrats, on the 51" Leo.