Author Topic: Redemption from yesterday's bust-offs - short afternoon session  (Read 2325 times)

Castmaster

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Well I got some payback this afternoon.  Found a couple of macks in the freezer and off I went for a couple of hours of surf fishing.  Got there around 3PM to an empty beach, just me and my lone surf rod.  By 3:15 I have my first bait soaking.  By 3:30 I heard the bell started ringing, and saw my line started peeling.  Hookup!  It was awesome to hookup to a nice leopard shark at the beach, knowing you can land it.  Got it to the beach, unhooked it, and released it to fight another day.  Hooked a tail section of the mack and when I casted it broke off, dangit!  One mack left.  Cut it in half and hooked the head section, and sent it out.  Decided to rig my salmon steelhead rod and dropper looped a plastic curly tail, to see if I could hook up to a hali while waiting for the bite on the long rod.  It didn't take long and I hear the bell again.  Ran towards my long rod, saw the line peeling out, by the time I got there, the line went slack.  I was guessing the the fish dropped it.  Hoping that it didn't rip the head from the hook, I waited for it to get back and commit to take it.  Nada!  Checked the bait, and it was gone. Sucks!  Now I have only one tail section of the mack left.  I took care to hook it properly, in-out-in again.  This time I gingerly casted it, sacrificing distance. Success!  It didn't break off!  While the bait was soaking, I continued fishing the dropper loop, this time I didn't wander far.  After about 20 minutes, I hear the a couple of tinkle of the bell, and my rod tip doing the tap tap tap.  I was like oh snap, probably small fish nipping at my bait since I didn't cast it too far.  I waited and watched... and all of a sudden my rod goes bendo and my reel started screaming!  Booyah!  Another hookup!  This one's taking long runs, definitely a bat!  Got it to the beach, unhooked it, and released it.  No more bait, looked at my cell phone it's 5PM.  Packed up and headed home with a smile on my face.  Happy Father's day!  I'll post the videos once it completes uploading on my youtube channel. 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:49:14 PM by Castmaster »

shoresurfer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: Redemption from yesterday's bust-offs - short afternoon session
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 08:18:41 PM »
Nice Father's Day catch and all in 2 hours.
Great job.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:50:29 PM »
Sounds like a great afternoon! Congrats on the Leos. Fun stuff!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 06:20:05 AM »
Redemption is always good, congrats................V
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Castmaster

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 06:47:55 AM »
Thanks bros.  Video links to yesterday's hookups.

Leopard Shark
https://youtu.be/VfCr_2tXd_U

Batray
https://youtu.be/ryMkeWgRoJ8

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 06:52:51 AM »
Great vids and nice fish!   8)

Definitely a day of redemption for you!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
Jealous of that itty bitty surf you guys have!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)