Author Topic: Cell Block 7 (12/12)  (Read 2038 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Cell Block 7 (12/12)
« on: December 13, 2017, 05:55:02 AM »
Steve and I met up at Cell Block 7 to some decent conditions.  The evening started with a shooting star that shot almost the entire way across the sky. My first bait cast and WHAM!  A 100 pound mound of loose grass and kelp.  Second cast, a 400 pound double lump that was barely worth the time and effort to clean off my rig.
Steve was only getting small bits 40 yards away and I think for the first time ever, said to move down and set the spike next to his.  :o :o :o

It worked as there were very few weeds here.  I got some critter bites before getting a REAL bite!  Once again, it dropped it and never came back. <sigh>

We continued to get critter bites, but never stuck one... THEN all of the submerged salad I was catching when I first got there, found us and we were just in un-fishable conditions.  We called it early as it was not even worth making a test cast at this point.  At least I got to see a real bite, but that is little solace for my back pains in trying to pull all that kelp in and save my rig.

While unpacking, we got a visit from a very friendly and local cat. Steve wouldn't even shake my hand to say goodbye after petting it, lol.  I'm assuming it's allergies related, but I wouldn't rule out Ailurophobia.

In any case, I hope someone gets out to capitalize on the few remaining weeks in the surf casting competition.  As of now, Mike has a resounding lead over the competition.  I also have been tagged by Adobe and none of my photoshop crack is working any longer.  I hope to get the shark list updated real soon.

Thanks for reading.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Block 7 (12/12)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:53:49 AM »
The 7Spot has been extra weedy lately!! SO MUCH EEL GRASS. The doldrums of winter is nearly upon us! Almost time to run for cover in the bay.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »
Screw pulling on kelp/salad monsters. I'm too old. I just straight line it, grab my reel, and walk it either in or break it off. And to tell the truth, when I do get a break off, it's a relief that I don't have to spend 20 minutes trying to salvage some hardware from what is in all probability a messed up rig anyways.

It's been awhile, but now that I carry my heavy wire cutters with me, even if I do get a grass monster to shore I'll probably just cut the hook, weight, swivel, bait clip and call it a day.
Anybody have an emergency beer?

matt92629

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »
In the same boat as you last night...Far too much salad, few nibbles, but otherwise nice evening at my spot.

Out of curiosity...you mentioned that shooting star. Was that around 6:30 or so? I saw one go clear across the horizon, and it was actually really strange in a way. I actually went home and told my wife that it creeped me out. Apparently being alone on a beach in the dark is fine, but a shooting star will send me running.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »
In the same boat as you last night...Far too much salad, few nibbles, but otherwise nice evening at my spot.

Out of curiosity...you mentioned that shooting star. Was that around 6:30 or so? I saw one go clear across the horizon, and it was actually really strange in a way. I actually went home and told my wife that it creeped me out. Apparently being alone on a beach in the dark is fine, but a shooting star will send me running.

That sounds about the right time.  It was moving fast and lasted a long time!  Steve saw it first and I still had time to turn around and watch it head out to sea.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »
Sorry to hear about the poor fishing conditions, Ben and I will try another beach tomorrow. Hopefully, the conditions will be better. Ben is looking for his first 7gill and I am looking to get one step closer to Mike's fish count. If I catch the winning shark for the surf contest so be it.  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »
Best shooting star for a long time.

Saw another new thing to add to the mysterious sights file.

I am allergic to cats. To sum up my feeling about them, Tom, substitute the word "mushroom" for "cat" and you about have it.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 09:20:07 PM »
Best shooting star for a long time.

Saw another new thing to add to the mysterious sights file.

I am allergic to cats. To sum up my feeling about them, Tom, substitute the word "mushroom" for "cat" and you about have it.

I don't like cats either Steve...
https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/3642784405744592/