Author Topic: SNBF-XVI Scouting Mission (4/2)  (Read 1720 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
SNBF-XVI Scouting Mission (4/2)
« on: April 03, 2023, 06:38:16 AM »
My original plans were to get out and get some rockfish, but I saw the weather reports and it looked to be quite bumpy out there.  Then I heard the Stroker Invitational was going on and I've been caught up in that fiasco too many times to want to deal with it, so I just decided to leave the boat dry docked. 

Roger called up and wanted to do some scouting for Bats.  I had a place I've wanted to try and this whole Stroker Invitational closed down some of my other spots, so we gave it a go.

I started with the bass gear and caught 4 bass and lost 4 more.  I even thought I had a clump of weeds on that turned out to be a 12" halibut... All dinks, but at least pretty it was good action.

Roger showed up and we started soaking for bats.  Roger used squid and I used mackerel.  I got a run on the mack, but it quickly spit it.  Roger on the other hand got 4 bats from small to smedium.  (I've known Roger for 25 years and I'm still always baffled everytime....)

He even got a big preggo butterfly!

I finally broke down and tossed the macks.  I grabbed a squid and got some action of my own on the 12' Diawa rod from Jeremy!  So I know they are only eating squid it seems.

Roger said he was going to get one more before I left and he was wrong.  He got one more as I was driving out of the parking lot.  LOL

Well, we might have a new spot to meet up at the Bat Fight this year.  Only thing is there are no fire pits, so you don't get your cake and eat it too! lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: SNBF-XVI Scouting Mission (4/2)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 10:23:29 AM »
I've had more incidental hook ups on butterfly rays in the last year than I have since I started fishing.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 11:05:19 AM »
Damn! Nice session. Now I definitely gotta scout something up here to keep up.

Glad you like the rod!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 06:19:07 AM »
The most action from Bats in years, hope they grow fast  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 06:13:43 AM »
I have another location to have the Bat Fight on Mission Bay, but there are two things with this spot... No Fire rings and you probably have to walk 100+ yards to the beach.  There is parking right next to the beach, but I'm not sure of the bay floors dynamics there.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.