Author Topic: From -1 back to 0 7/9/15  (Read 2212 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
From -1 back to 0 7/9/15
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »
Well after being all excited about getting my first fish on the long rod Wednesday night, Chip kindly informed me that a thornback puts me at -1.  >:(
So I decided that I needed to go out again last night and try to redeem myself.
Picked a new beach that I've been eying on my way to and from work every day.  Water was clear with 2-3 footers breaking close in.  I fished just before peak high tide to outgoing, 5pm-8pm.  As I walked up to the water there was a big pod of dolphins chasing bait right up to the sand! At least I know there's fish in the water  :)
I walked down the beach aways to get away from some swimmers and set up my first spot.  Threw out a mac head and started throwing the LC on my light rod....  nothing.  Fished there for an hour with not a bite.  Moved up the beach 100 yards or so and sent out another bait.... still nothing.  Stayed another hour and noticed all the swimmers were gone so I moved back down where the dolphins had been, closer to the structure.  Tossed out some more mac, messed with my phone, chatted with the locals and still no love.  Decided to try the LC again while I waited. Second cast gets nailed by this chunky 10" perch.

Well by that time I was happy to beat the skunk so at about 7:30 I decided to throw out one more bait on the long rod.  Since the mac didn't seem to be working I pinned on a whole squid and chucked it out.  Put the rod in the holder and went to get my LC pole, but as I'm walking back I see the long rod double over! I dropped the light pole and grabbed it, as soon as I set the hook the drag starts screaming  :D  Finally got my first decent fish!  After about 5-10 minutes I got my first bat ray onto the sand.  Measured the wingspan at 31"

A local guy stopped to take a pic for me.

I know it's no monster, but it sure seemed like it to me  ;D
I'm definitely hooked and can't wait to get out again!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: From -1 back to 0 7/9/15
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »
Good start. They only get better.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.