Author Topic: I'll Never Know  (Read 2022 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
I'll Never Know
« on: March 08, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
Yesterday afternoon around 5:00 sent out a oversized mac head while fishig the SNBF. My rod started to bounch and the clicker started screaming. I put it in gear and whatever was on was running so fast the bearings were singing. I tightened down the Carbon drags fully when I saw my top shot of 65# spectra dissapear and then my 50# PP backing started shrinking rapidly. By this time there was over 250 yards missing off my reel with no signs of it slowing down. Myself and a few others saw whatever it was clearing the water and trying to shake the hook a few times. With no more drag to apply I started using both thumbs in an attempt to slow it down, once again with no effect. All I could do is watch it jump and look at the rapidly dimenishing supply of backing on my reel. After loosing what had to be around 375 yards of line my rod jumped up and off it swam. Turns out the crimp gave way on my leader.  All of this transpired in about 45 seconds and after my hands quit shaking I sat down to think about what happened. As much as I would have liked to land it, or even see what it was the outcome was perfect. Another 15 seconds or so It would have spooled me and been swimming around the ocean with 425 yards of braid hanging out of it's mouth. As is, all it has now is a new "lip ring". Took me a few minutes to realize the outcome was what was best for the "beast" and the heartbreak went away. Thanks for reading my rant and much respect, Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: I'll Never Know
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »
That had to be a hell of a rush having all that line peeling off.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »
Had the same thing happen to me round 930 or so last night, in the bay, 300 yds of 65# disappeared in under 60 seconds, thumbed the spool for a good 30secs of that. I said well u can have the hook n weight, with the end of my spool completely showing maybe 9-10 wraps left I just snapped her off. She thought about stooping once, but she put it in 6th gear and took off again... win some u lose some :/

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »
I'll say you had the man in the Grey Suit... You can't prove me wrong!  lol

What a rush, Verne!  Next time!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »
That would keep hitting that spot every night until I finally land it! Awesome and sh!tty all at the same time.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)