Author Topic: Saturday 1/31  (Read 2976 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Saturday 1/31
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »
 Today started out as most saturdays do. At the barn. My daughter had a good riding lesson to close out her 14th year. Birthday tomorrow, but no plans to speak of.
 Jumped on the computer to do my internet rounds and was saddened to read of the passing of someone I call a friend, Saburo Tanisaka. I didn't know him well, but he was someone I always sought out to greet and talk with. Just one cool dude.
 What else to do but head out for a few casts to think of a friend who I enjoyed fishing with when the opportunity arose.
 Lately, I have had the bug to catch halibut. The structure is there, so why not, but my success has been limited. Well, non existent.
 Today was different. I headed down o the last place I had any intel on, hoping it would still be worthwhile.
 I reached the bottom of the access and saw a couple deep holes still fishable on the dropping tide.
 With a smelt colored swimmie tied on I set to casting. About 15 casts in I was rewarded with a small thump and some weight on the line. After a short fight I landed a short halibut, maybe 16".

Made a few more casts into the area, but no more action, so I moved on to the next hole. Several casts into the reefy hole, my swimmie stopped. Great. Snagged.
 Wait a minute, my line starts moving, I'm bit. This one has some weight to it. I get it close to shore, and then, as usual, the real fight begins. Several short runs, drag pulling, and I land a nice halibut. I'm calling it legal, but it could have been an inch either way.

Tried the hole awhile longer, made a move to another spot, but that was it. Still, not too bad.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday 1/31
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 04:39:19 PM »
Nicely done Steve.  I'm dying over here trying to heal up so I could get out fishing.  Nothing is working though.

Ugh, well I'm jealous for sure.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
Nice work Squatch! Sorry to hear about your buddy, condolences.  (and happy bday to the munchkin)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:43:04 PM »
Nice, you did better than me today. Got my second skunk of 2015, however I did get a non-hit bite off. Noticed my long rod slack, checked it and I had no weight, no bait. I think I saw what looked like a GW about 300yds from shore thrashing and semi jumping. Either I hooked a dolphin or a GW, either way you did better than me Steve!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
 8) nice change up!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »
Right on Steve.

Was thrown a bit by Saburo passing. He really was a unique soul. Always sought him out at fish offs too.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:12:36 PM »
BTW is that swimmie a 5"? If so I'll have to call your "legal" halibut at about 20" or so. Still nicer than any hali I've pulled in, in several years!

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 06:39:52 AM »
Two Butts on the sand, great job!
Anybody have an emergency beer?