Author Topic: Blue from Above and Below (1/17)  (Read 2154 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Blue from Above and Below (1/17)
« on: January 18, 2023, 06:26:45 AM »
Came home from work to a leak somewhere in the roof.  After an investigation, it seems all that wind this past saturday had removed some of the shingles which led to a small leak from the blowing winds.  I made a quick repair and decided I needed to calm my brain down, so ran to the local puddles to try and catch one of those trophy trout that haven't been caught yet.  Besides, between the showers, there was spots of blue sky which I haven't seen in a while.

Within 5 minutes of setting the rods up, I jumped when I heard a big bang and splash!  I looked to see an osprey literally slam and catch a trout right next to my rod holder.  Then it was taking off but thankfully the line ran off its wings and I didn't have another bird incident in the last 2 trips.

I then see the strike indicator fall, then the line started screaming out!  I ran to the rod and one step away from grabbing it before it was gone.  Damn it!  I looked over at my powerbait rod and it started to get bit and went bendo!  Three steps into running over to grab the rod, and that one dropped the bait.  Damn it!

Nothing was going on after that.  I did get a few inflated crawlers swiped, but I think it was only bluegill. 

I was sitting in my truck listening to some sports radio when I heard the faint singing of a reel.  i look down to see my crawler rod hooked up and screaming out!

The fish was pretty hefty, and I was feeling like I had my trophy trout of the season.  It felt different than the usual Channel Cat, so confidence was high.... It was a fairly long fight and then I saw a glowing cat in the water.  What the?!?!  It wasn't brown, had no spots, and was very rotund for a cat of this size!  Holy smokes, a Blue Cat!

Well, that was it and the Ranger started to do the 15 minutes until closing drive around the lakes.  As I was leaving, I saw a guy on Lake 3 that was hooked up.  I watched him for what seemed a while and expected to see a giant trout!  Instead, it was probably a 2# model.  Still a trout at the buzzer which was fun to watch.

That's it, a fun way to end a workday and got my first Blue Cat in SL ever.  I've only caught one before in Jennings, so my second Blue was a really pleasant surprise!

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Blue from Above and Below (1/17)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 07:36:47 AM »
Congrats on the blue Tom, that's really cool!  Nice looking fish!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 07:11:53 PM »
Blue cat is on my short list, way to break the skunk.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 04:31:06 AM »
I then see the strike indicator fall, then the line started screaming out!  I ran to the rod and one step away from grabbing it before it was gone.

At first read I thought you meant your rod did the 'submarine'.  Glad that wasn't the case and congrats on the cat.  Bummer about the roof, been there   >:(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 07:54:38 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 05:40:11 AM »
It's a matter of time until you land a monster/ lake record trout, can't wait to read that report ;) Bummer on the leak, glad the rain is over for a while :)