Tackle Talk > Reel Repair & Maintenance

Penn Mag 10 build **Finished**

(1/5) > >>

xjchad:
Since it's been slow in here lately, I figured I'd throw this up for fun.
This is a reel I've been building for the last couple months.  I've thought of it as my catfish reel, but really, it will work great for inshore fish and should be strong enough for some larger stuff as well.
I started with a nice condition, older model Penn Mag 10.  These are great reels right out or the box!  Great levelwind system, 4:1 gearing, factory mag tuned for cast control, and bearings instead of bushings.

I have another one I'm going to be tweaking for bass and stuff, but this one is getting Frankensteined  8)
My plan is to remove the levelwind to increase the casting ability and beef it up to make a really strong reel in a small package.
(I know, I know... I could have bought a newer reel that will do all this, but what fun would that be?  ;D )

First step was to make a stainless rod to delete the levelwind.

Next, I made some mods to install a Cortez Conversions free spool lever.

I'll continue to add more as I get time.

xjchad:
Next step was to beef up the bridge.
I added a stainless steel gear sleeve and double dogged it with two stainless steel dogs.

1morecast:
Sweet, can't wait to see what happens next!

xjchad:
So next, I started on implementing a stronger reel stand.
The original is thin stamped steel and does not have provisions for a clamp.
I made some spacers so that I could mount a 30-49 stand from a larger Penn reel that is thicker steel and has holes for mounting a clamp.

This is a great upgrade, but I had an idea I could take it further...

I picked up a Newell aluminum stand/clamp for a Newell 220/Penn 501.
I also got a piece of aluminum tube and headed out to the Bridgeport.

That's about where I'm at now.  I drilled and tapped the hole pattern for the side plates and hopefully I'll  have the rest of the machining done by the end of the week!

Latimeria:
 :o   WOW    :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version