Author Topic: Season's Ending 12/4  (Read 2272 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Season's Ending 12/4
« on: December 05, 2022, 12:26:38 PM »
Got word that there were some bluefin local to me. Figured the wind in the upcoming week might drive down temps further so figured I'd give it a shot on the lake-like conditions of the weekend, it probably being the last shot until Spring for local tuna. Also it would be a good time to try out my new seat for my boat. Finally got a back rest!

Launched about 0830 and it was glass. I wanted to stop on some bottom fish grounds on the way out to see what options I have out of Huntington.

Made it to the hard bottom in about an hour. Didn't have squid so I dropped a gulp fluke and a non-scented fluke and would make strip bait out of whatever came up. Dropped down and was rewarded with good size dabs.

And the dabs were eating stripped dabs...

Found one lil rosy amongst the bunch, but no other cod.

The seat was not working out. The aluminum benches have a lip that wedges into a nylon pocket, which only really supports weight if the weight isn't leaning. So I couldn't really use the back rest. It made me reconsider continuing out and adding another 2+ hours, but ultimately decided no-guts-no-glory.

I heard there were breezers all over the Catalina channel, so I just needed to zig zag a bit and hope to happen upon something. Absolutely no chop to interrupt my view...

Saw one single -something- bust early on, looked like a 20# class tuna. Trolled by without a bite or any signs on the FF. A little bait here and there that seemed a little too comfortable for my liking. A few spots of resting birds. Didn't see anything else for an hour so turned around. Saw one more single fish bust close to me, maybe 30-40#, but no bites on the troll and no marks on the FF. Overall about as uninspiring as could be despite the 2 possible fish.

Got sprinkled on a little bit on the ride in, but wind never came up. Might try a little more before season's end to see if the OC has any redeemable rockfish grounds. I will admit the dabs today were all pretty good size.

In the meantime I'll be muttering about how to provide more support for the seat without adding a bunch more junk to the boat's assembly.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Season's Ending 12/4
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 08:52:11 PM »
Gotta love them glassy conditions, I hope to get out soon  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 07:02:34 AM »
Bummer on the chair not working out, but not a bad trip at all.  I wanted to get out this weekend, but the planets didn't align for me.

Yeah, I can't imagine having no back rest at your age, let alone mine!  I'd be the hunchback of Notre Dame within a month on your boat!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 04:02:45 AM »
As always, great write up Jeremy.  I gotta give you a A+ for effort
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect