Author Topic: Starting Where I Left Off (10/15)  (Read 2216 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Starting Where I Left Off (10/15)
« on: October 18, 2022, 08:00:10 AM »
Got a call from my buddy to head out Hoop'in on Saturday Night.  I was too busy during both mornings, that fishing was out of the question, so this turned out to be a perfect way to squeeze some saltwater therapy in.

Little current and rain in the forecast seemed like the perfect ticket for bugs!  Only thing was I wanted to watch the Padre's game, but got to listen to it while we saw Petco Park in the distance.

We got on the water by 5:00 and were laying nets.

Gorgeous sunset before the rains came....

Well, it looks like things are starting off the way they ended for my lobster season last year... IT STINKS!

The hoops were full of what I thought were kelp....until they started scurrying around the nets...

Literally hundreds of these things for the night and almost on every pull.  Some looked like fistfulls of bud..

Lots of San Dollars, but we moved our nets the minute we saw at least 100 in the net.  I can't believe how many of them are out there.

Bigger Sheep crab were also around.

Thankfully there were plenty of Rock Crab around also.  We picked up 10 legals and threw just as many shorts back.

All night, trying 4 different spots, we only managed 3 just barely SHORT lobster.  Where the hell are these things?!?!

While listening to the game, we were hanging onto the last batter call, when I noticed the stadium fireworks going off!  Damn, radio delay so I saw the win before hearing it.  lol

Well, at 4:00am, we called it with no lobster, but split the 10 crab.  At least it was something.  We also got a butt-load of sculpin and round rays in the nets which was a pain, but no octopus at least.

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Where I Left Off (10/15)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 08:07:42 AM »
Well at least the crab look tasty Tom!
Can't wait to see how you cook them up!  :P

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 01:23:10 PM »
Some looked like fistfulls of bud..

That's the first thing that came to my mind, you pulled up a gunny of bud instead of a gunny of severed heads   ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 03:23:40 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 02:56:56 PM »
 I wish I lived closer to the water, looks like fun and work at the same time but good therapy for sure 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 07:19:51 AM »
My grand daughter was trippin' watching the crabs crawl around the floor.  I'm pretty sure she was amazed these things weren't just cartoon characters.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 05:47:38 PM »
Always fun watching them crawl around the kitchen...nice buddies.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 03:26:41 AM »
My grand daughter was trippin' watching the crabs crawl around the floor.  I'm pretty sure she was amazed these things weren't just cartoon characters.

Great picture Tom
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect