Author Topic: Spinning drag settings during a soak?  (Read 2505 times)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Spinning drag settings during a soak?
« on: June 22, 2016, 03:39:01 PM »
During a bait soak at the beach, what drag settings should one use with a spinning reel?
I don't have a bait runner type reel.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Spinning drag settings during a soak?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »
On my dad's rig, we tighten it just enough to keep tension one the line and a slight bow in the rod based on the conditions.  If there's a strong current or weeds it needs to be tighter.  Even then, it's always still light enough that a fish can take line without dragging his gear out to sea.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:28:27 PM »
On my dad's rig, we tighten it just enough to keep tension one the line and a slight bow in the rod based on the conditions.  If there's a strong current or weeds it needs to be tighter.  Even then, it's always still light enough that a fish can take line without dragging his gear out to sea.

X2

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:55:33 PM »
Chad is spot on. When a bigger shark grabs it, there is no need to let him run with it. The drag what Chad was describing is exactly what I do as it almost sets the hook on him also on both spinning and conventional rigs.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:18:57 PM »

X3

Just enuf drag to keep current and minor weeds from running out the line. Never enuf to fear your stuff making a one way trip out to sea. Make sure you get in the habit of checking the drag setting. Any time I tighten the line or inspect the rod, I always double check that the drag is loose enuf.

Another good habit is to pull the line thru the guides about 6 inches and release. This insures that the line isn't wrapped around a guide or the tip. That's another sure way to launch a setup out of the holder.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 07:30:27 AM »
X3
One thing I can add that is helpful for spinners without a baitrunner feature is to know for each your individual reels exactly how many turns of that drag knob it is going to take to get the drag set to "fighting pressure" so you can tighten it to there automatically. Most of the newer Shimanos have what they coined as a "quick drag" which means with just a half of a turn of the knob the drag goes from the light clicker pressure into "first run pressure". On other reels it might take 4 turns to get it to tighten to that first run pressure point, but just know what it's going to take ahead of time so in the midst of your initial sprint to your rod and hookset and that first run you can get your drag to the best tension without over or under doing it. With the baitrunner feature this is a moot point but ...
JOE

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 06:46:30 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.