Author Topic: What's Too Big?  (Read 2905 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
What's Too Big?
« on: September 30, 2016, 01:05:37 PM »
I know they say size doesn't matter... but we know they're lying.

So, what size surf do you consider too big to fish? 3'? 4'? 5'?

Further, what size weight do you like to use for a given surf height?
Anybody have an emergency beer?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: What's Too Big?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:19:28 PM »
2-3+ occasional 4 is about as big as I will fish most spots. Weeds are much worse problem when it is bigger.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »
I'd say 3'-5' is borderline, maybe ok if your at an all sandy AO that you don't want to throw beyond the breakers anyhow, like Pismo for example but anywhere near kelp and it's going to be salad city.
As far as how much lead I throw, especially with sputnik now the norm, I base it much more on the the sweet spot that my rod will throw best rather than the actual holding strength of the weight. 90% of the time I'll throw 5 oz or 6 oz + bait depending on the weight of the bait. Even if it's 1' -2' I'll throw 6oz + bait even though I could get plenty of holding power from a 3oz or even 2oz sputnik, but my rods won't load properly, if at all  3 oz.
Now of course there are those times rare times when 6oz sputniks are  not enough to hold so I'll step up to 7 , 8  or even 10oz sputniks, even though thats pushing the top end of what my rod should be throwing and for sure out of the sweet spot. That being said I think it a rare case when throwing 10 oz of lead will solve all issues and make it easy fishing. If you need to throw 10 oz to hold,thats a pretty good indication that things are pretty much going to suck.
JOE

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 04:49:06 PM »
I've experienced pretty impressive rips in 1-2 surf. The extreme North / South direction was almost as difficult as fishing 3-5. All depends how much crap in the water too.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »
We are measuring the waves from the back and not it's face, right?

There's a big difference and this is often confused by some.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »

That's very true Eric...I was referring to the backside of the swell, which is what most surf reports use when they say 3'-4'. Ive seen some nasty thick shorebreaks at high tide on steep beaches with a 6'wall for a face but barely 2' on their backside. Then you got your low tide rollers that can break way far out and don't pack a punch. I guess the power of 2'-4' at a point break can be alot different than a 2'-4' walled out break at another beach.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »
I've experienced pretty impressive rips in 1-2 surf. The extreme North / South direction was almost as difficult as fishing 3-5. All depends how much crap in the water too.

I loathe that damn rip current when I hit it.

Depends the beach and slope with a long wash or not. Deep in the winter storm season the slope is much steeper and better tolerance of higher waves but 4+ is pushing it anytime. 6-8 oz sputniks usually.

Jim

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 11:40:55 PM »

Default to California standards. Hawaii is a different animal when they say 5ft. Cali = face ... HI= back ...

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »
4-5 is my limit when the water is clean and there is no rip current.  Last night was 3-4 and the rip current and weeds sucked balls.  I prefer 3', but 3-4 is ideally my max.  Stuff starts hitting 5 and it makes it tough everywhere including landing them.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.