Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Board / Re: Memorial Day Solo Lunch
« Last post by jrodda on June 02, 2024, 10:21:12 PM »
I noticed that I didn't see any "Local" SoCal fish on those walls like YT and Calico.  Do they have SoCal mounts in the building?
worth every penny.

Yeah, like 60,000 pennies at minimum it sounds like.

Go buy some chocolate peanuts and look at the fishies, Tom! If nothing else. I feel more and more like I should get back to peruse that location. Been 5 years now.
Outdoor Activities / Re: The Pain of Lost Siver... (6/2)
« Last post by jrodda on June 02, 2024, 10:17:36 PM »
How old do you suppose the crabs are, or the vertebra? Those crabs look, dare I say, fresh, with that coloration and detail. Cool finds.
Freshwater Shore Fishing Reports / Re: Dixon And The Secret Ponds
« Last post by jrodda on June 02, 2024, 10:15:09 PM »
60+, holy cow! Killing it. Glad the first instinct with the car is to fish!
Salt Water Shore Fishing Reports / More YFC Frenzies 6/1, 6/2
« Last post by jrodda on June 02, 2024, 10:13:41 PM »
Saturday__

Went with Alicia to the beach. A little windier than usual, probably consistent 10 knots, clouds rolled in pretty quick.

Alicia posted up in a chair while I wandered far far away. Kelpy in some spots but manageable in others. Stayed with the white grub again and no bites for a while. Perch bite after 20 minutes. 30 minutes in I got my YFC.

Rest of the school seemed absent. Might have gotten a couple more nudges but pretty dead. Current and swell was a little rougher and I was getting sinker tangles even with 12/15# lines around the swivel. Just the one this time.

Sunday____

Felt like maybe I'm overdoing it going...4 days in a row? Went anyways. Consistency is good for patterning.

5mph winds, sunny, less people around. Very nice. Still some kelp but manageable. Always seems slow to start, can't tell if it's the particular stretch of beach I walk or if this beach just turns on around 90 minutes before sunset. Got to my honey hole and broke the skunk.

Still seemed slow, felt like I was repeating yesterday. Then I started seeing micro bait popping and thought, hell yeah! Saw this on Friday and it turned on then. And what do you know, it went wide open. 8 fish in almost as many casts, and 2 second farm jobs for any other cast without a fish in the 20 minute window. They went from 12-17". Another tanker in the mix!

Some of them took a nice initial drag run which made things extra exciting. They did all seem to run straight at me after the initial dogging, but it was an epic bite nonetheless.

It petered off before a game warden wandered up to me. Checked my license, introduced ourselves, and told him (he's brand new to the job) he should definitely be checking this area often. Lots of potential for tickets. He continued on and I pulled another couple out.

Got to 11 (2 leader breaks on hooksets as well...) and the warden came back my way after checking some others and said "thanks for the tip, I'll definitely be coming through here often." Good to hear! I haven't been checked by a warden since 2019 or so.

On the subject of leader issues, I saw two overhand knots in my leader today, so I wonder if that's been happening to me more lately. It's pretty hard to see if you don't check carefully and it would certainly explain the line breaking at a couple pounds of pressure. Will keep monitoring.
Salt Water Shore Fishing Reports / Re: Staycation SD Cays (6/1)
« Last post by jrodda on June 02, 2024, 09:51:28 PM »
Cool trip. Makes me wanna do another little overnight trip down there. Corvina at night, putt around the bay in the morning for halibut or bones or whatever. Good job making the most of your time.
Salt Water Shore Fishing Reports / Re: It Almost Felt Like 2008 Again... (6/2)
« Last post by jrodda on June 02, 2024, 09:49:01 PM »
Damn...welcome to my world! At least I haven't had a serious heart break like that, just chronic frustration. Retying is certainly part of the game. I remember some of those late 2000's reports though. I think I've seen a couple big corvina on instagram as of late so perhaps it's gonna be a good year for that.

Ouch, did you get the line  from Jeremy ?
It would be cool if you went back and caught the fish again and got your Spook back, only you cold pull something like that off !

Wishing I could catch some of the fish I've hooked and popped in the past couple weeks just so I could clean them up of my sh!tty leaders.
Salt Water Shore Fishing Reports / Re: Quick Summation 5/31
« Last post by jrodda on June 02, 2024, 09:45:14 PM »
You need to stop listening to Koga and his leader material!  lol

Nicely done Jeremy.  I had in my mind I was going to surf fish this morning, but once again bailed on my initial plans.  I do miss the old school perch/YFC days, although.... the Spotfin are biting really good and with Stripers around, too many options for my old brain.  lol

Haven't seen a spotfin with my own eyes in a long time, although I'm sure they're around.

Haven't touched Koga's AbrazX stuff in a while, not even sure where it is. Should probably find a use for it at some point.
General Board / Re: I'm trying something I haven't done in almost 40 years....
« Last post by Tim524 on June 02, 2024, 07:53:17 PM »
 Boy George or Madonna ?? Ha ha  Can't wait to see the final product, you have some creative skills !

BTW, did you buddy figure out the Emoji problem on the site yet ?  They are still not working.
Freshwater Shore Fishing Reports / Dixon And The Secret Ponds
« Last post by Tim524 on June 02, 2024, 07:47:43 PM »
 Max got his Driver's License a couple weeks ago and wanted to put it to use, asked if he and his buddy could go fishing while Janie and I wen to breakfast with our friends. I figured he wouldn't get up that early anyway so I said yes. I went out to the Shop early this morning to grab my 5am Diet Coke and I see all his gear organized and ready to go (Holy Chit) He was ready  and off he went. He sent me the pics and it looks like they did pretty well. Myles didn't go, apparently his Beauty Sleep was more important.

The taste of freedom must feel pretty good cause after Max came back from a morning session at Dixon, he wanted to go to his Secret Ponds and finish off his Sunday with Bass Thumb. By this time Myles was awake and wanted to get on the board too, so off they went to find some Large Mouth Bass in a very remote part of Valley Center. They found a few !

Myles got a couple as well

Hawg Bait !!!

They were there all day and caught 60+ Bass, next time I will get in on the action, just glad they had fun on their first solo trip.

Salt Water Shore Fishing Reports / Re: It Almost Felt Like 2008 Again... (6/2)
« Last post by Tim524 on June 02, 2024, 07:19:20 PM »
Ouch, did you get the line  from Jeremy ?
It would be cool if you went back and caught the fish again and got your Spook back, only you cold pull something like that off !
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10