Author Topic: RIP Okuma ABF65  (Read 4882 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
RIP Okuma ABF65
« on: May 13, 2016, 09:35:15 PM »
Sadly, I had to retire one of my Okuma ABF65 reels to the bone pile today :(

Can't complain, for a $55 spinning reel it lasted for at least 100 trips and has caught a lot of big rays. Honestly, it just wasn't designed to fish for monsters with 65lb braid and the anti-reverse bearing/spindle finally gave up the ghost.

Still have one ABF65 in service, along with a Coronado CD-80a. Truthfully, the Coronado at $99 is better suited for catching monsters. Bigger capacity and 33lb drag really let's you take the wood to the critters.

RIP little buddy 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Okuma ABF65
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »
 8)
That's what I'm using at the moment.
Good to know they can take some abuse!
Any tips for maintenance or upgrades?

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »
Bummer, but at $55, who can complain. Definitely consider the battle 2, at roughly $130, it's badass.  No baitfeeder, but you can adjust the drag. And with an aluminum frame there is no flex at all. It's a sweet reel.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
I'm impressed with a reel that held up with those vigors of reel screamers.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 11:58:15 AM »
I have an ABF65 as well.  Haven't caught any monsters with it, but I've been using it quite a bit for river fishing.  Last time I used it I noticed the baitfeeder lever wasn't disengaging the primary drag.  Took it apart, couldn't find anything wrong, put it back together, and now it seems to be working ok.  I'm nervous about using it now though.  Point is, make sure you check that the primary drag is actually disengaged before you walk away from your rod, especially if it's propped up against a bridge or pier railing instead of being in a rod holder.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:06:48 PM »
On okuma baitfeeders, if the handle is near the position where it disengages the baitfeeder function, it will not disengage the main drag. If this is what is occurring, then moving the handle a 1/4 turn will enable normal baitfeeder functionality. But your point is a good one no matter the situation. I have caught myself forgetting to back off the drag on my conventional reels after placing them in the holder. I try to make it a habit to pull a little line to make sure the drag is loose enough before walking away.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 08:44:33 PM »
I have caught myself forgetting to back off the drag on my conventional reels after placing them in the holder. I try to make it a habit to pull a little line to make sure the drag is loose enough before walking away.

Lose a rig and you will get in that habit. Fricken frackin bay bat vs dumm angler.  >:(

Jim

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:21:28 AM »
On okuma baitfeeders, if the handle is near the position where it disengages the baitfeeder function, it will not disengage the main drag. If this is what is occurring, then moving the handle a 1/4 turn will enable normal baitfeeder functionality.

Thanks!  That's very good to know.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
That's what I'm using at the moment.
Good to know they can take some abuse!
Any tips for maintenance or upgrades?

I'm not a real big maintenance kind of guy. I hit my gear with the garden hose after a soak and then throw it in the garage. Other than changing the line, I didn't do squat on that reel. The drag worked great, so I never felt the need to do anything there. Use it. Enjoy it. If it breaks, PM me, I might have some extra parts ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »

Okumas have always been some of my favorite reels.  Almost all my fly reels are Okuma, and I have an Okuma baitfeeder I have used once   :-[.  Seems like a good reel though.