Author Topic: Conventional Rod & Reel @ Fred Hall Show  (Read 8886 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Conventional Rod & Reel @ Fred Hall Show
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but hypothetically, let's just suppose I went to the Fred Hall Show and was thinking about a conventional rod & reel for big game surf fishing. Not a shark rod that requires a harness and baits to be yaked out, but something with enough back bone to throw 8 & Bait that's not going to move so much with the surf as my 15' Ugly Stik that it messes with Tom and Rasta's heads the next time we hook up.

What would be a great deal or on your wish list with a budget of $300?
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Conventional Rod & Reel @ Fred Hall Show
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 02:57:37 PM »
Why wait for the Fred Hall Show? A $300 budget is plenty to get something now. The Ocean Master surf rods are still on sale on Bass Pro. These are great rods for the budget minded angler and it still leaves you some $$ to buy some other gear!! Too bad you're only looking for a conventional rod, Xpoc has a sweet Breakaway spinning rods for sale at a pretty sweet price.

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »
Also check out Chark Bait. They're having their:

"3rd Annual Fred Hall Show In-Store Customer Appreciation Sale Wednesday thru Sunday!
Our Huntington Beach and San Diego shops will be having their largest sale of the year
with savings from 20% to 70% off across the board. Store hours are noon to 5pm.
Mention our Western Outdoor News ad and receive a Free lure,
Spend $100 or more and get a $25 Gift Card!"

Not bad with deals to be had! The Penn Torque rods are pretty nice too, especially at $119!!

https://www.charkbait.com/cs/pennrods_ProGuide.htm
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »
Pinoyfisher, what have you got? Not opposed to a Breakaway spinning rod if it's stiff enough to throw 8 & Bait and not bounce so much in the surf.
Anybody have an emergency beer?

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:35:11 PM »
Ron has a sweet deal on a conventional combo in the classifieds right now too...  ;)
http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=1365.0

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
Penn battalions are pretty sweet I hear. Paired with a daiwa sealine 50 sha, spool with 65/80# braid or 40# mono and your good to go.. And that puts you at just under $300. The daiwa emcast are very nice as well,  that's what I use.
I'm actually picking up the 15' casting rod to pair with a torium 50 in a few weeks 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
Pinoyfisher, what have you got? Not opposed to a Breakaway spinning rod if it's stiff enough to throw 8 & Bait and not bounce so much in the surf.

I believe there's already a few threads on the discussion of long rods including one I started on where I buy my gear. Xpoc is the one with the Breakaway for sale. I would've picked it up, but my wife was the one buying a rod for me and she set a very specific $$ limit which put his Breakaway rod out of my reach. I got another Ocean Master rod from Bass Pro giving me 2, a conventional and now a spinning outfit. Just waiting for it to ship as it is of course on back-order >:( Eh, in no rush any ways.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 03:54:41 PM »
Ron has a sweet deal on a conventional combo in the classifieds right now too...  ;)
http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=1365.0

This isn't a bad deal either, but I find the Longitude too stiff for my liking. But that's just one guys opinion.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 04:17:35 PM »
Penn battalions are pretty sweet I hear. Paired with a daiwa sealine 50 sha, spool with 65/80# braid or 40# mono and your good to go.. And that puts you at just under $300. The daiwa emcast are very nice as well,  that's what I use.
I'm actually picking up the 15' casting rod to pair with a torium 50 in a few weeks 8)

This is exactly what I bought when shopping with a tight budget. Rod / Reel / Line was right around $300. I don't know anything else rod-wise to compare, but I really like the Battalion and it has stood up to everything we have in the surf / bay no problem. I also think the sealine 40 cast way better than my Toriums. And the maintenance is super easy.

Just my humble $.02 ...

Oops forgot to mention the gold / black Battalion pair nice with the gold / black sealine too ...  :P :P :P

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 04:39:14 PM »
My sealine does cast further than my torium, but I just like the feel of the torium better, personally

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »

The only rod your gona find that bounces like that in the surf is your ugly stik.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »
Im a freak for Saltists.

I got 4 of them.

They average 190 bucks wherever you go.

For a budget reel I guess go sealine.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »
I'm a firm believer in saving your money and buying what you really want.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 05:11:55 PM »
You can get a used sealine 50h off eBay for around $50. Aluminum frame, won't flex like the graphite reels if you hammer the drag. Carbontex drag adds a few bucks. I blew out two sealine graphite sl-x models.

Been very happy with my fathom 40. Still would like a lower gear ratio, but it's $50 for different gears.

I got a shimano tiralejo rod on close out when they came out with a new model. Got a good deal but might be over budget.

Good luck with your new gear.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
The Longitude is definately not an 8nbait rod, you'll way overload the rod. I too would second the Penn Battalion. Mine hasn't let me down so far. I am currently using the Penn Prevail and Penn Battalion in the 4-10 oz 12' models.  Both easily cast 6+bait very well and could do 8+bait in a pinch when needed. I tried the Penn Battalion 6-12 oz 12' model, but it was much too stiff for me, I practice casted 8 & 10 oz torpedoes and could barely load the tip. I think the heavier model would do 10+Big Bait very well. For myself, I found it too much effort trying to load the rod well enough to get a good cast.

For a budget reel, I found that I prefer the Fathom series over the Daiwa Sealine's. I like the full metal body (granted it's cast versus machined) and the instant AR with backup double pawl AR.  Its about on par with the Sealine's for maintenance and already comes with HT-100 Carbon washers (make sure to add Cals, as they come un-greased.) the Fathom also puts out 25#'s of drag vs the 17.5#'s on the sealine 40/50 models.

Best price I have found for these currently.

Penn battalion: Wally world carries them with free shipping.  Prices vary but are real good right now, the 4-10 is running $106.90 ($129.99 normal retail) and the 6-12 is $114.80 ($139.99 normal retail)

Penn Fathoms check with eztmo.com the guy running it is right here in socal I got my 30 for 150 new in box with free shipping, he also sells the 40 new out of box for $140 with free shipping. The Penn 30 has roughly the capacity of the Sealine 40, etc