Author Topic: Low Tide Death Traps (12/26)  (Read 2975 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Low Tide Death Traps (12/26)
« on: December 27, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
Got down to the bay to meet up with Dave, Josh and Tinkerbell.  Dave had only a couple of hits in a few hours that stole his squid heads and Josh just started soaking before I arrived.
Thank goodness we brought wood as it was a cold and quiet one! 

The tide kept receding and receding until the muddy death traps were exposed.  These are the areas dug by razor clam guys which slowly and loosely fill in with unpacked sediments so it looks solid until you step in it and sink to your knees!  Thankfully Josh is only a fly weight and could walk over the stuff when he went down to grab my fish for me.  :o ;D

Around 7pm, I get the screamer I was looking for!  It was peeling line and I lost half my spool before I could stop him.  Unfortunately he found a buoy and all I could feel was rubbing... ugh...  I straight lined him and thumbed the spool in hopes to turn him.  I put about as much pressure as I could without snapping the line.  Unbelievable, I turned him and he swam back around the buoy!  Trying to fight him in this slop was just ridiculous!

We finally beached him and it was a really nice one, but Josh noticed something.  It appeared I broke his jaw in the fight and was lucky that the hook re-snagged into his neck.  Not sure if it was that way before or if it happened because of me.  It was too muddy to rinse him off and get a better look.  If it was me, I could only imagine it happened when my line wrapped around the buoy and I straight rodded him back around.  Not sure, but it still was the trophy of the night.

I sure hope his jaw heals up. 

Great night fishing and enjoying a bonfire with you guys.  That's for the deck handing Josh and getting my fish in that slop.  I would have sunk to my neck for sure.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Low Tide Death Traps (12/26)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
Hate that low tide muck. Only like it when someone gets stuck in there truck.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:21:25 AM »
Good times with good company as usual!  Sucks the bite sucked but it was definitely worth the trip. Funny you mention someone getting stuck, some jacka$$ was driving his Lil rear wheel drive truck in the muck and got stuck and came askin for help. Nope no one here's got 4 wheel drive lol! Nice job again Tom I thought for sure she had you beat when she hit the bouy, you told them Bats not to mess wit you ;)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »
Good times!

Best part of the night for me was that truck as well ... ass hat tearing around in front of us ... ends up getting stuck LOL LOL LOL ....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »
It's like clockwork.  I think I've seen someone get stuck almost every time that I've been out there fishing.... and they all deserved it!   ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »
That looks like a real fun, consistent night, and coupled with being able to have a bonfire near by.... I think I'll be doing a road trip soon lol