Author Topic: I bought a kayak... And kinda hate it!  (Read 17583 times)

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
I bought a kayak... And kinda hate it!
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
Hey dudes,

After many years of consideration, and a year of very serious consideration, I purchased my first kayak. I then proceeded to possibly do some structural damage to my trucks roof rack tracks, drop it on my wife's head (she's OK), and underestimate how much room it would hog up at my house...

Does anyone have any advice for loading/unloading or transporting that might help a new guy? The guy I bought it from tossed in some Thule kayak saddles to make transporting easier. Loading isn't too bad, but unloading has been outright dangerous. The manufacture claims the bare hull weight is 57#, but it feels a hundred pounds heavier. Forgot to mention I'm roof topping on a Land Rover LR3, not in a truck bed.

Best regards,

Dave
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:36:38 PM by Dave Legacy »

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: I bought a kayak... And kinda hate it!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
I rooftop my Prowler 13 ( ~60lbs rigged hull ) on my 4Runner factory racks with soft pads. I just he-man it up there to load it. Unloading I slide it toward me, grab a side handle and lift it so the kayak is sideways, then control it downwards and lay it on its side and lean it against the car. I do have sidesteps which helps my short 5'9" stature. I've seen others bring step ladders.

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:45:30 PM »
I rooftop my Prowler 13 ( ~60lbs rigged hull ) on my 4Runner factory racks with soft pads. I just he-man it up there to load it. Unloading I slide it toward me, grab a side handle and lift it so the kayak is sideways, then control it downwards and lay it on its side and lean it against the car. I do have sidesteps which helps my short 5'9" stature. I've seen others bring step ladders.

I'm 6'4", but built like Jack Skellington. I think the biggest part of my struggle is that the roof bars lock in about a foot in from the rear of my SUV. I'm kinda visualizing how you do it and I think I could swing that. I'm bringing a folding bench/platform with me tomorrow to try to give myself me an even greater height advantage.

Second question:

Is it pretty acceptable to drag around the kayak over sand and grass? I was planning to be more thoughtful about moving it around, but I'm just not strong enough... Yet! I might need to get some wheels too.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:30:32 PM »
Second question:

Is it pretty acceptable to drag around the kayak over sand and grass? I was planning to be more thoughtful about moving it around, but I'm just not strong enough... Yet! I might need to get some wheels too.

Eventually the hull will wear away. Even more with the weight of all the gear on board. I built a cart designed after this one. http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/2011/04/diy-bulletproof-kayak-cart-build.html Of course modified it to fit the my hull. It does slip off so strapping to the kayak is a must.

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »
OK, wheels next.

Took it out today with my wife and 3-year-old while my bigger boys were in school. Loaded up well, unloaded fine, so I think I have a system down now. Thanks for the advice, it was quite helpful.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 04:54:19 AM »
I roof topped my hobie PA fully rigged. No probs. what's the deal?
Keep it tight

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:44:09 AM »
My buddy made this video. Pretty much how I loaded mine but I side loaded it a few time by lifting it over me head and doing the balancing act.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eGsHBmYUFlg
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 07:09:24 AM »
Very cool Dave and congrats on the purchase!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys catch and glad you are getting your system down!  So many possibilities open up when you could get mobile on the water!  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 08:00:40 AM »
I roof topped my hobie PA fully rigged. No probs. what's the deal?

You and I are built totally differently and I haven't made a career out of humping around a heavy ruck. I watched the video and wheels seem to help out quite a bit, so that's next for me.  My truck has a couple small obstacles that make it tricky, but for the most part I've got a system worked out.

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
Very cool Dave and congrats on the purchase!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys catch and glad you are getting your system down!  So many possibilities open up when you could get mobile on the water!  8)

All smiles; Seems to be working out now. Next step is getting accustomed to fishing from it then straight out to your secret ling pile!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 06:50:39 AM »
There is a board on here that has your name all over it!   8)

http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
Drift  full macks with it

Dave Legacy

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 10:26:15 AM »
Drift  full macks with it

Threshers? I have two 5'6" glass trolling I think I could use for such things. I just test fitted them in my flush mounts and the gimbals hold them in nice and steadily.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
No advice here, but.........the photo with the kid is awesome  :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 06:08:32 AM »
No advice here, but.........the photo with the kid is awesome  :)

I second that!