Author Topic: Mental Health Day (5/16)  (Read 1257 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mental Health Day (5/16)
« on: May 17, 2023, 06:32:02 AM »
I'll post pictures later, but after a hell week at work and home I needed a day to relax and get my Vitamin Sea.  I picked up bait and ran out in cool and misty conditions.  The long period swell made for a nice ride, but I quickly found out I have to make a new "screen" for my baitwell.  When I had the screen on, it would fill with scales and overflow the entire time.  When I took the screen off, a few anchovies would get sucked up and block the outflow tube.  It was annoying to say the least.

I decided I didn't want to look for rockfish, but try for halibut with some live bait.  I'm not sure why I bought live bait because bait was everywhere!  I haven't seen this much in a long time.

My first cast and I hook a big Calico on my virgin rod.  It was a 4# model that I released after a quick picture.  Next cast was a Calico around 3.5#, but the sneaky swell brought some breakers a little to close for comfort, so I headed out some to get a little breathing room.

I was disappointed also, since I turned off the motor and got a low battery alarm.  I'm starting to think something is drawing on the battery too hard, since the battery was full charge after getting back.  Anyway, I caught 15 assorted bass with a sand bass being the biggest for me.  It was easy fishing when using live bait... I don't buy bait often, so I sometimes forget how easy it is over artificials.  lol

I then hook what I think is a nice sand bass, but that quickly turned to a halibut.  The water was a little milky, so I couldn't ID the size, but I saw the flash of a halibut, but my size 2 hook definitely didn't have enough bite in it's mouth.

With me striking out for halibut, I went on a slow troll.  I missed quite a few (probably bass) because I was double d!cking it, but it kept things fun.  Then I hear a loud SLAP and my line went on a tearing run!  I saw the tail and body roll, so I knew it was a thresher.  Only thing is a 17# bass rod wan't going to get this dude in... maybe in the ideal situation, but not where I was at.

Well, I tried numerous places on the way home with little more luck.  I refused to drop down squid when I had all this live bait and got to use most of it.  The day on the water was refreshing until I got a text from my boss asking if I was coming in...  In a quick reply, I just said "Nope, Personal Day".

I'll get pictures up later when I get back from work.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 06:34:01 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Health Day (5/16)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 04:32:48 AM »
It was easy fishing when using live bait... I don't buy bait often, so I sometimes forget how easy it is over artificials.

I'm sure you remember the old saying, "There's no replacement for displacement".
Well, I'm thinking the same goes with live bait   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 08:22:29 AM »
Nice bass !  Just wondering how much is bait these days ?  The Boss Man needs to realize you are more productive after a dose of Vitamin Sea ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 08:29:07 PM »
Nice bass !  Just wondering how much is bait these days ?  The Boss Man needs to realize you are more productive after a dose of Vitamin Sea ;D
$40 for a half scoop.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 10:51:28 AM »
$40 for a half scoop.

Woof.

Nice healthy looking bass.