Author Topic: Bait Making  (Read 1362 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Bait Making
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:22:49 PM »
I ran to HI this morning looking to catch a bag of shark bait if possible.  I ran to the west end and after an hour caught a 2 pound bonito... perfect bait size.  I went to sling it up the rocks, but the morning low tide really sucked and made it a long way to sling it up.  Needless to say, it flopped off into some rocks and water.  I couldn't see it, but heard it splashing around between the rocks.  Nothing that the incoming tide couldn't resucue.

Otherwise, I didn't see a thing.  I switched to the iron and got a calico on the bubble and a spottie on the iron.  I ran to the east end to see some guys nailing the bass and others with nicer grade bonito over 3 pounds.  I stopped at the only parking I could find and managed a half dozen quick bass on the iron and bubble. 

I moved down and started picking up more small bass, but it looks like the east end of HI is the better end to start if you are looking for shark bait on the rocks.

I hope that helps.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: Bait Making
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
The east end has been better for me too. Macs were on the small size, perfect if you were looking for trolling bait. (not some great chunking bait, in my opinion)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)