Author Topic: Bait Report - SD 8-13  (Read 2728 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Bait Report - SD 8-13
« on: August 14, 2016, 07:09:16 AM »
I met up with Dave (WMB) at HI to try and see if any mackerel and bonito were showing up in greater numbers.  Well, there was a flurry of activity for an hour before the tide slacked off and we ended up with 2 bonito and 10 macks.

Dave did really well on the 1/2oz kastmaster and I got most of mine on the water bubble and fly.  There was little activity compared to last week, but we capitolized more.  We still lost our fair share, but it's nice to have fresh baits as those nasty macks I have been buying cost $3 a piece and had no skin on them.

I hope this helps to find any local bait.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Bait Report - SD 8-13
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 04:39:34 PM »
On the fly bubble  8) 8)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 11:00:09 PM »
That was actually kinda fun. Haven't been out fishing in a bit so the bone was a nice play.

Throwin irons for the bones ... LOL ... :P :P :P ;D ;D

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 08:12:13 AM »
Are you catching them closer to Tom Ham's?
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 08:15:33 AM »
Are you catching them closer to Tom Ham's?

We were a little further east.  No real concentration of them anywhere and parking was really bad so we fished wherever we could park.  Small spots of fish popping until 8am, then nothing.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »

Throwin irons for the bones ... LOL ... :P :P :P ;D ;D
Funny you say that as last week I found myself throwing an iron for macks on my 13.5' long rod. Saw someone else picking one up on every other cast on a small spoon but I didn't have any of my lighter gear with me. There was an old peeweeII small iron in the bed of my truck though, so I did what I had to if I wanted fresh bait. Let me tell you, about 50 casts and retrieves in under an hour with a long rod wears you out...LoL. Now I understand why the East Coast guys that throw plugs for stripers are concerned about the weight of their rod & reel.
JOE

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 11:01:17 AM »
...Let me tell you, about 50 casts and retrieves in under an hour with a long rod wears you out...LoL. Now I understand why the East Coast guys that throw plugs for stripers are concerned about the weight of their rod & reel.
JOE

Tom looked over at me around 7:30 and was like "dude, what the hell ... you're drenched!" ...

In my defense the humidity was nasty high. But that doesn't cancel out fat and out of shape.

LOL ...

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 02:13:02 PM »
Do like I do, Dave. Don't drink any water. No water, no sweat. My co workers say I'm like a camel, except my hump is in front instead of on my back.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 02:29:51 PM »
 ;D ;D

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 09:50:26 PM »
...Let me tell you, about 50 casts and retrieves in under an hour with a long rod wears you out...LoL. Now I understand why the East Coast guys that throw plugs for stripers are concerned about the weight of their rod & reel.
JOE

Tom looked over at me around 7:30 and was like "dude, what the hell ... you're drenched!" ...

In my defense the humidity was nasty high. But that doesn't cancel out fat and out of shape.LOL ...

I'm laughing so hard right now!! LOL..That's so fn classic...& so describes the way I was, drenched with sweat dripping into my eyes blinding me, and right then SurffishingSean just so happens to show up outa nowhere at that moment on the sand behind me looks at me like "Dude, are you OK?" LOL....still laughing here... ;D ;D :o

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »
Hit up HI today from 8-9:30am with the high at 9:20am. Bonies still biting with the sun up. Caught two in the short window that I had. It was funny as I was walking back to my car along the sidewalk I see a splash within casting distance, so I fling my krock in that direction and immediately hook up with a mac. They were chasing the small bait fish to the surface. lots of fun on the light rod.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 06:24:44 AM »
Hit up HI today from 8-9:30am with the high at 9:20am. Bonies still biting with the sun up. Caught two in the short window that I had. It was funny as I was walking back to my car along the sidewalk I see a splash within casting distance, so I fling my krock in that direction and immediately hook up with a mac. They were chasing the small bait fish to the surface. lots of fun on the light rod.  ;)

Good intel Binh.  Glad they are still biting.