Author Topic: Fixing this and that...  (Read 4659 times)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Fixing this and that...
« on: December 20, 2016, 10:52:22 PM »
SS catfish progress...Trailer work was done, batteries are 4 years old and dead.  Ordered a 3 battery charger to mount on board, got cable for the Lowrance chart plotter GPS, started cleaning the old livewell.

Tossed out some old parts and misc junk. Still need to work on replacing carpet answer doing some wood finishing rod holds and much more....

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing this and that...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 06:06:18 AM »
Take pics of the progress so you (and us) could see how far it's come.  It sounds like it's going from the SS Bullhead to the SS Flathead!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 12:56:34 PM »
Back deck that needs recarpeting..

Trolling motor and captains chair, still need a chair for upfront.. Not finish gone on dash wood..

Hummingbird fish finder with transducer attached to the trolling motor...

More wood finish work to do. May attach rod holder or knick knacks to it.

Lowrance chartplotter 3000 foot depth limit, old but works.

Old livewell cleaned out from having scuzz on the bottom. Will likely use it as storage as there is a round well onboard

Clamp on rod holder. I have several and 2 hard mount ones for in the rear

View from the bow..

Sanded all the corroded connectors that attach to the batteries and need to get new ones, charge them and install. They had 2 12V in parallel made no sense to have your starter batt being drained by other gear. Trolling motor batt is separate.

Need to fill the new gas tank, install some cleats, and then it will be ready to hit some water. With all the rain predicted don't know how much can get done in the next week.

Also need to get stickers for the side to cover odd artwork.

Jim

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »
New batteries charging in the garage, cleats in the bag

Weather permitting it should be ready to do a water test on Monday. Judge speed handling, electronics, fuel consumption etc. and do a little fishing.

I have the day off.

Jim

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
Are you gonna launch from the bay or lake? Make sure the safety equipment is ready to go too. Take some pics of her in the water.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 07:58:05 PM »
Gonna be lakes for a while. Land on all sides and lots of other boats in the event of issues.

Do have to get some more safety gear, extra pfds, flares, etc as well.

Depending on Tom's assessment for salt water use I'll see about bay or close ocean use.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »
Looking good!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »
Nice Jim!
Get an oar to keep in there too ;)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 04:40:56 PM »
New batteries charged and in, fish finders and radio fire up, engine cranks, oar and various safety gear added. Replaced old gas tank and fuel line on the safe side.
Need to mount a compass, GPS unit, once the cable arrives on track to hit water Monday.

Jim

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 05:04:30 PM »
Mounted 4 rod holders fore and aft on each side. Cleats mounted Should be dead center but the screws were too short and nothing is open.

The anchor it came with is a 15 lb navy with about 15 foot of heavy chain on a 50 foot rope. Loaded my old fold up anchor with 100 ft which is probably more appropriate for a lake.

Hopefully dropping it in San V tomorrow.

GPS for the chartplotter is a bit of an issue as the unit had the wrong antenna and the right one is discontinued.

Jim

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 03:40:08 PM »
Plumbing and wiring and winching.  :(

Project 1: Livewell has old tubing to be replaced and whomever installed it glued it to the tank fitting on the intake. I just hope they didn't glue it to the pump or the drain glued to the output. Need more tubing and fittings

Project 2: Bilge pump isn't working and the fuse is fine. Have another pump to install but fear glued fittings as well.

Project 3: Winch doesn't ratchet and had sketchy strap have replacement to install.

Yeah don't think I'll be fishing this weekend. :(

Jim

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 03:46:08 PM »
Plumbing and wiring and winching.  :(

Project 1: Livewell has old tubing to be replaced and whomever installed it glued it to the tank fitting on the intake. I just hope they didn't glue it to the pump or the drain glued to the output. Need more tubing and fittings

Project 2: Bilge pump isn't working and the fuse is fine. Have another pump to install but fear glued fittings as well.

Project 3: Winch doesn't ratchet and had sketchy strap have replacement to install.

Yeah don't think I'll be fishing this weekend. :(

Jim

At least you have a boat :)
It will be worth it when it's done!

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 10:47:32 PM »
Winch is done, Tubing ordered for goofy livewell setup. Problem is the drain is thru the hull on the bottom..

On the inside the fitting has 2 sizes or flanges the front one is 1 1/8

Obviously this needs a serious seal and typical livewell tubing is flimsy.

Replacement bilge pump tests out, and appears electrical connections on the old one were good via a multimeter.

GPS cable arrived but has to be installed on the boat as the chart plotter connector doesn't come off to bring inside.

Luckily this weekend the weather looks clean to make progress.

Jim

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 07:08:18 PM »
Can't believe no body hit the sand last night.

Bilge pump installed, Installing the same type and found then old had been wired in wrong with the constant on wire to the battery and the automatic one to a switch which was bad also. The was killing the battery. Installed the new one and got the auto wired in but have to mount a new switch and set up the wiring. Got the switch and mounted to the plate but need to prep the wires and run them.

Installed another rod holder set and a bow holder and replaced some cupholders,

Waiting on hoses to arrive to fix the livewell drain, pulled out the intake from under the deck in hopes to run the drain alone under it. Both had been under the boards and I don't think both can go under without taking up the boards in the back. Once the drain and intake are hooked up again she can go back in the water.

GPS cable tried but no dice. May just forget about it and upgrade the whole system at some point.

Carpet is falling apart everywhere.

More work to come.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 09:36:29 AM »
Jim, I can't find the GPS sensor for your Lowrance.  I'm still looking, but only found some old Hummingbirds' and think I might have ditched the receiver.

I can't imagine that I would have discarded it though, so I will keep looking.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.