Author Topic: Trout Fishing 11/28  (Read 2213 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Trout Fishing 11/28
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »
 Got up this morning, still full from yesterday's feasting, and maybe a little slow from tipping back a few last night.
 Best way I know to take care of those feelings is some fresh beach air.

Headed down to an old haunt and found beautiful conditions, rising tide, small surf and some visible holes to try to fish.

I often work north here and did again this morning. Throwing the clear red flake grub. Lots of cobble stone grabs, but no real bites.

Looking south, I saw several cormorants in the surf line as well as a couple pelicans that seemed to be feeding. I quick fished my way down figuring there was some bait in the water and hopefully some larger fish to catch.

I tried with the grub, got nothing, and broke off. I tied on a mini hammer and made some casts up and down the area. I got nothing for awhile and then was rewarded by a soft bite close in, followed by my line moving up current. Whatever it was came off, but on the next cast, a much harder hit resulted in a small yfc.

I lost a few more lures in the reef and got down to just one more swimbait. I saw many schools of baitfish in the waves, maybe 3 beach balls in size. I saw a small halibut jump and another baitfish explosion. Still no takers. Then I lost my last swimbait in the rocks.

As I was armed with my perch rod filled with 4# braid, I was not going to tie on any of the hardbaits I had, and due to the rocks, I was hesitant to try the new kastmasters. All that was left was a trout spinner I had put in my box one day.

So, what the heck, I tied it on and made some casts.

Shortly after making one cast, I saw a dark shape rise in the wave. I couldn't identify it, but my spinner was going to pass nearby. I couldn't believe it when I felt a thump and went bendo.

After a short fight, I landed this little halibut.

Made a few more casts and got a perch.

I worked the area for another half hour for nothing and headed for home. Pretty sure I will be checking it out tomorrow.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Trout Fishing 11/28
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
heh heh... trout fishing.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.