Author Topic: Summertime Soupfin (6/21)  (Read 3951 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Summertime Soupfin (6/21)
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:34:26 AM »
It's been a tough weather window the past few weeks with high surf, but it looked like we had a small window of opportunity the past two days.  I had to run home and get my daughter from school while Steve scouted out 3 beaches for the best conditions to fish from.  the tide was coming in big, so we needed some sand on top of it.  He called and said our initial call of beach was the right one, so I headed up after dinner to join him in a Tuesday Night grinner night.

Steve was first to hook up, but it wrapped him good and busted his shock leader.  From what we could see, it was definitely a nice Soupfin, but Steve's streak continues as another shark was hooked and eluded capture besides taking another rig from him.  >:(

I was next to hook up in the big incoming tidal movement.  I swore it was a bat ray at first, but it quickly became very shark like.  I almost lost him, but ran down the beach to turn him from the danger zone and Steve tailed this 67" Soupie for me!  On the board!

I got a new waterproof Panasonic camera for Father's Day, so we tested it out.  I still think my phone takes better pics, but it is light years better than my other waterproof cameras!

It wasn't long before I had another big bounce and the line went slack.  I reeled as fast as I could to just loose line and caught up with her almost all the way into the surf!  Damn, the bitch stayed on!

Steve tailed #2 for me. 

69"

Wow, a two shark evening and could I make it another 3 fish night?

Steve's rod sat silent as he was using the bloody mackerel when I was using the white bloodless type for Norway.  I finally got a THIRD HIT!
This time I wasn't so lucky and it popped off before I could lay the hook into her.

Oh well, we packed up and left by midnight.  By the time I got home and into bed, 4:30 rolls around way too quick and I feel horrible this morning.  Getting older is a bitch, but might as well do it while I could!   ;D

Could have been a 4 shark night for us, but we still got more than one on the beach.  Shark week is here and 2016 has been year of the surf shark!

Until next tide, thanks for reading. 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Summertime Soupfin (6/21)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »
Simply outstanding Tom, I still think soupies are so much majestic looking than 7's  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:50:00 AM »
Beautiful sharks!
(Steve, you're due big time, it's coming!)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:08:21 AM »
Nice job Tom! Is that a dehooker in your hand on that last shot?

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »
Nice job Tom! Is that a dehooker in your hand on that last shot?
Roger that!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 10:09:38 AM »
Losing my only fish was just the topper on a sh!tty day.  Today isn't looking any better. Oh well, at least we had a little light show.

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »
Super cool ! Congrats guys !

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »
That's a nice way to spend an evening.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 05:29:23 PM »
That's a nice way to spend an evening.

Sure is  8)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »
I love that 2nd pic, that soup really looks mad with his jaws extended like he just chomped something.

SurffishingSean

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »
Beautiful soupie's Tom! is there anything you can do to prevent them wrapping themselves? i'm thinking of bumping up to 130-150lb shock leader.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 06:04:56 AM »
I love that 2nd pic, that soup really looks mad with his jaws extended like he just chomped something.

After she bit, she charged the beach.  I had to reel as fast as I could to catch up to all the slack line.  I actually thought she bit me off, but caught up to her when her belly hit the shallow sand and she tried to turn and take off.  She literally came in hot and was filled with piss and vinegar!  The pic shows it.  lol

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 06:07:57 AM »
Beautiful soupie's Tom! is there anything you can do to prevent them wrapping themselves? i'm thinking of bumping up to 130-150lb shock leader.

I don't think so.  I've caught quite a few by now over the years and they all seem to have an explosive "Twist and turn" in them that you really don't know what direction they will take at any given time and the big "Tail slaps" are also them flopping or twisting in the water before a direction change.  I'm not sure if heavier shock leader will help with any of that, but it would hurt to experiment and see what happens.

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »
Consistency Tom! Keep it up, The big one is coming!  8)